"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Friday, May 1, 2015

New Hobby–Fitness

I have another new hobby as well, one that I cannot even believe that I am doing! After being thoroughly out of shape since college, I have started working out… consistently! I really feel like I have been exhausted for years and so many workouts that people promised me would give me so much energy did NOT.  After going Paleo and completing the Whole30 in January, along with being on thyroid medication, I really started to get some extra energy. Not a lot, but enough to get started or at least think I could do something.

Soooo, I started to think about why I failed in the past, and I came up with a few reasons. The first is that I never worked out with Nick because he has always been in good to better shape and never out-of-shape and I didn’t want to hold him back. So I told him that I wanted to work out with him, and being he was excited to help me. The second is that I just cannot seem to put my smaller kids in a childcare, no matter how good it is (although I am going to try again this summer), so I would have to do something while we were all at home. The third is that I need to find the right time each day. I would make excuses because this expert says to work out in the morning or before dinner or whenever, but I just needed to find a time that worked for me. I realized even though every day for us is different, the one thing that I can count on each day is to watch a TV show with Nick… at night (bah-dah-dum-ching) so Nick and I set that time aside for our workouts.

Now what to do for the workout. I have a very good friend here in Midland named Jessica McColloch who started doing Focus T25 with Sean T. At that point she had lost 20 pounds and as of now she has lost over 30! She does it with her husband, and so I decided to order it from her and try it. She was and is very inspiring. She’s also a coach on it if you need one.

So far Nick and I have really loved it, and you really can do it at almost any fitness level. Nick is very challenged, and obviously so am I. The first few weeks were hard and I regressed on my clean eating a bit, but I am started the Whole 30 on the 21st and I think I will make it to day 30. So now I seem to have the diet and exercise down, which is not like me. I am so very thankful that I decided to work out with Nick. It took me 10 years to use him as a tool, but he’s a great motivator and he’s always up for a workout. He has never pressured me to have a better body and loves me, stretch marks and all, but he also loves to help me work out since he wants me to happy and healthy.

When I started, I didn’t even take before pictures or measure myself because I didn’t think I would actually follow through, but I’m really doing it! Often I have to do the modifiers. I haven’t lost much weight, but I think I will start now that I am dieting and exercising. I am definitely getting smaller, especially in my squishy mom tummy. My energy is up too! It’s so great, instead of laying on the couch, scrolling through Facebook because I don’t have the energy to get up and do something constructive, I am playing with my kids more and I have the mental capacity to take on my new quilting hobby. My anxiety is way down, that particular thing is probably from the combination of everything I have been doing, but its great.

Isla loves to do T25 too! She gets very upset with us when several days go by and we don’t let her do it. You would think she would be tired after all her activities, but she’s inherited her Daddy’s energy. She did not get that from me!

01c0301fbf5c782276ac7af3185487a3efb5d305db

And now for something really CRAZY! I have started running with Nick. To motivate myself, I signed us up for a 5k. The Insane Inflatable 5k was our first, where you get to go through grown up bouncy houses as you run. It is FUN! That really motivated me to start running. I also told myself it was ok to walk. I’m not a runner, I have a lifetime of NOT running under my belt, I just have to keep trying and keep going and the stamina will come. When the day came, it was SO cold and SO rainy. We had to walk a lot just because it wasn’t safe to do otherwise, and we were soaked through and freezing. BUT WE DID IT! My first 5k Smile. I had my parents in to watch the girls so it was fun to do it with just Nick.

IMG_6829_thumb[3]

Nick was lucky, he got to take off his wet, muddy shirt straight away... me, I had to keep my shirt on!

IMG_6827_thumb[2]

I signed us up for another one on Easter weekend, and once again it was so, so, so cold. We had nothing but beautiful weather on the weekends when we were NOT doing 5ks. The plan was to let Isla ride her bike, and Nick would push the two littles in the stroller. Right before the race started, Zoya started screaming so I decided to sit out with her. It was the right thing to do because she was so cold. I offered to watch Gemma and Isla so Nick could run, but Nick said he was fine with pushing Gemma and letting Isla ride her bike.

IMG_6931IMG_6937

Isla made it one time around the loop and then crawled into the stroller, so Nick finished the race, running the whole time, pushing over 100 lbs. He just wanted to see if he could do it! That’s the kind of person he is, me, I’m happy to go easy on myself when it comes to physical fitness. He also likes to stress that 5ks are not a big deal, he’s been running since high school, but I am still proud of him. I’m allowed.

IMG_6946

Nick has gotten a little overexcited about my new interest in running and wants us to plan to do a half-marathon in the fall. HA! I have agreed to try for a 10k and maybe he can do the half-marathon if we can find a race that has all of them, but I won’t say no. Probably the best thing about being in my 30s is that I am not afraid to try new things, even if I might fail. Soccer season and really trying to “nail” T25 has really put a damper in our running, but I look forward to doing it more over the summer!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!! It's never easy to start an exercise program but once you pass the first couple of weeks and start noticing the energy and maybe a little weight loss you get into it. Do you notice when you don't work out you feel terrible about it? I just recently completed the 30 day squat challenge and now I'm on my 60th day and it's amazing how much my booty has changed! After having two kids it seems like my booty is no more... 😢 BUT thanks to squats it's coming back! Oh and awesome job on the 5ks!, Keep going girl you got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to hear that there's a way to escape the middle aged flat bottom:). There are so many squats in T25 that I'm always sore. I can't say that I am at the point where I miss working out when I don't do it, but I am really motivated by the few results that I have found. I'm glad that it's been so hard to lose this baby weight because I really needed to be healthier for my kids an to set a good example.

      Delete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews