"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

House Tour: The Living Room

Here is our living room, which is rapidly becoming my favorite room in the house. Originally we had much less furniture, more toys and even a little kiddie corner with a table and chairs and kids’ books… and well, I hated it! My original genius idea to keep the study-currently-the-playroom for adults and this one for kids did not work well (so that I could see them from the kitchen). This clear delineation between adult and kid space is working so much better for us, and the house is so much more peaceful.

A lot of people comment on our white couches, Nick included, he really cannot resist getting in a comment about white furniture, but you know what… I LOVE THEM! They were one of the best purchases I ever made. They are slipcovered and the slipcover can be bleached all to heck if needed. Just because you can’t see dirt on your furniture, that doesn’t mean it’s not there; I would much rather be able to see it and get rid of it! And I can always buy a new slipcover later if I want to change my color options. The only regret that I have is that I followed the care instructions to the letter, which says to tumble dry the slipcover in the dryer and specifically says to NOT air dry them. That makes them shrink to the point where they are almost impossible to get on, so I have started air drying them and they are much easier to get back on after washing.

001005006

This was the console that our TV sat on in Louisana. It’s actually a very awkward console and also a very awkward desk, but it’s very pretty and so I keep it around Smile. I am really picky about nick-knacks. I don’t like purchasing things just so that they look good, except for candles and such. This has my only matryoshka doll that I have kept from Russia, the rest I donated to Reece’s Rainbow auctions besides Isla’s set. I also have my absolute favorite book series in hardback on display here, The Anne Series, by Lucy Maude Montgomery. I love that I can store our poufs and throws underneath the console.

010

The new recliners with the burlap pillows I bought last year.

012

So as you can see… I found throw pillows, and I love them! My mother bought this table on Craigslist and refinished it for us. Its some fancy brand, but I think she only paid around $25 for it!

015

The reading nook with the new bookcase. I absolutely LOVE the new book case. It is actually much larger than what I asked for, in fact they pretty much ignored every dimension I gave them by about half a foot Smile, but I still love it. The stain is perfect and it doesn’t have all the frou-frou-y extra wood pieces that the Restoration Hardware book case it is modeled after has, and I prefer it that way. I was worried that that one would be a little too ornate for my style. They kept the cute little feet though, I love those. I seriously LOVE this book case, and I especially LOVE the price! And, those books are NOT just for looks. There is nothing worse than buying a book for decoration; it’s almost a form of blasphemy. Most of these books I have read and loved, with the exception of a few. For example, I have read Scarlett, the sequel to Gone With The Wind, and I didn’t like it… BUT I keep it up there because I have GWTW, a classic and also a book I love, and I just keep it there because well… it is the sequel. Another example, my mom recently gifted me with the entire Louisa May Alcott collection. I’ve read three of her books, and loved them, and of course ready Little Women over and over, and I haven’t read the entire collection, it’s on my list. But for the most part, I’ve read them all, and loved them all, and they are my pretties.

016

The new console, with no TV. I stole the idea of buying a horse picture from a friend of mine, who has a charcoal horse picture from Z Gallerie. Her house is done in a lot of espresso and gray, and that picture would not work in my home, but I loved the idea of having a horse picture. I have been on the look out for the right picture at the right price for half a year now, and then I finally found this one on Joss and Main. I love it! At some point I would love to add a TV right here, but that won’t be for a long time.

017

The mantle and hearth. I found that clock made from barn wood at a little store in Magnolia. Note that not a single candle stick of mine has a candle in it. That’s my next design dilemma. I keep heading to Hobby Lobby and Target and thinking, should I get this one or this one with a pattern or this one in a bright color and then I just get afflicted with indecision … I am probably over thinking it, but I’ll get to it eventually. Smile

018

All in all, I think it has really come together. I find this to be the hardest part of staying at home. I mean, nothing in my previous life prepared me for “keeping house” and being a homemaker and making the home an attractive and comfortable place to be. I have an engineering degree for crying out loud! However, I am finding that the longer I stay at home, the more a part of my overall identity my home becomes. The same way my job used to be, the same way Nick’s job currently is. We’ve had a few discussions about that recently and Nick is really cool about letting me do whatever I want, and that means a lot to me! Even though he still misses his brown couch, and he can’t resist the occasional snarky comment about our white sofas Smile.

 

PS. I would love to redo the window treatments (just blinds that are pulled up in this picture) or add curtains, but that is waiting for whether or not we stay in Midland longer than our current assignment.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Stori!! I am loving your home tour. Your home is beautiful. The white slipcovered furniture... genius! The reading nook... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elizabeth! I love seeing other people's homes too :). I especially loved yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just love that fireplace! It's quite charming, really. Add that to the furniture and you get a complete look. The only thing that's missing, in my opinion, are some fabulous window treatments. Have you considered some options? Anyway, my favorite piece in your living room would have to be those classy looking recliners. I think your house is really nice. You're all so blessed to have such a lovely home. Thank you so much for sharing! I wish your family all the best!

    Naomi Walters @ Chicora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naomi. We will be adding window treatments eventually... budget permitting! :)

      Delete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews