"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

House Tour: The Guest Bedroom & a Sneak Peak

Our new bookcase arrived yesterday and I am thrilled with it!  Now that its in, I realized all that we have to do is adjust the spacing of our console and hang the picture above it and the room will be as finished and ready as it has ever been since we moved in so I feel like I can share it. I spent the day organizing my books and once I realized that they were all in place, my guest bedroom was cleared of the boxes that had been filled with books and was as perfect looking as its likely to get! So I took pictures. Now I only need to take pictures of our living room/dining room/kitchen area, Gemma’s bedroom and master bedroom and our home tour can be completed. I think I should be able to finish it this week!

Here’s a shot of the bookcase and sneak peak at the living room!

new bookcase

Here’s a our guest bedroom, and at some point in the future, we will put a crib and baby Shaka in there, along with the glider, but that won’t be until she starts rolling out of the Nap Nanny. Our plan is to see if Gemma is ready for a big girl bed at that time, and we can just move Baby Shaka into Gemma’s crib. Otherwise, we will just buy a new one. We use the IKEA GULLIVER cribs and they are only $100 so it’s not a big deal to have two. When guests come, Baby Shaka can just sleep in a Pack N Play in our room. In the far future, like at least one year from now, we plan to move Isla and Gemma into a room together and then give Baby Shaka Gemma’s room.

A view from the door. The roses were already painted on the wall and we just kept them. I like them Smile. We have also added the shutter arches above this room and Isla’s room so that people can get a good nights sleep and sleep in when they visit! We want our guests to come and stay and be very comfortable for as long as they want. We are not pineapple people! I bought that bookcase from Sam’s Club and I love it. Its so cute and sturdy.

006

Nick built me this “hope chest” for my 20th birthday. Our names are carved inside and it is so precious to me. It’s hard to believe that that has been 11 years ago.

008

A view from the sink niche. The crib will go where the dark brown dresser on the left is, and that will be returned to Nick’s parents. I really don’t like it and I have been trying to get rid of it for 9 years and I am finally about to achieve victory! Poor Nick. Occasionally Nick will catch me looking at a Pottery Barn catalog and I’ll be on the page with a dresser that looks very similar to this one, and he’ll ask “Do you like THIS dresser?” thinking he is being so clever and that he will trap me! Well it never works because I just don’t like that style. Also this was our bed until we moved to Midland and upgraded to a King sized bed. I love it so so so so so so so so much! It’s the Savannah bed from Pottery Barn and my mother found it at the Pottery Barn outlet and gave it to me for Christmas right before we were married. Do you see the “W” in the design? Smile This was also our monogrammed bedding from when we were first married. I love that we are using it.

Also, I just realized that that lamp needs a lampshade! I am not good with the details.

009

A view from the bookcase. We will be keeping the dresser with the hutch, another Pottery Barn outlet find gifted from my mom. She spends a lot of time there and finds the best deals and then usually passed them onto one of her lucky kids for free. This is the one part of the room already set up for Baby Shaka. Her clothes are in the closet and in the dresser along with a few pictures and baby care items on the shelves.

010

The great thing about our guest bedroom is that guest have their own sink! The bathroom is a double-jack-single-jill so on the other side of the toilet/shower area is a large double sink vanity that is for our girls. When we have company come to visit, we just move the girls’ toys to our bathroom and they bathe in there so our guests get the entire area to themselves. This part of the room was painted a bright turquoise, and was so ugly so we painted it the same color as the rest of the room around Christmas time… we are so slow to really get settled into our houses in case you can’t tell. My friend gave the idea to use the wine bottle wrack for the towels since we didn’t have a great place to put guest towels. The linen closet is on the girls’ side of the bathroom.

012014

This is the view from the girls’ side of the bathroom. Tah da! It’s a shower and toilet. I bought the shower curtain from Joss & Main I think and I love it.

013

And that’s it for this room! I’ll update it when Baby Shaka moves in since half the furniture will be moved around/out and new things coming in. I have a few more plans for when I don’t have too much month at the end of my money as they say to put a little coffee maker in sink niche, since Nick and I don’t drink coffee but all of our guests do. I had a hair dryer there too, but it broke, but in the near future I want to have the guest vanity decked out like a hotel room with toiletries. Please, please, please come visit us!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the idea of the wine rack for a towel holder!

    Sue H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add that my family visited my brother's family in San Antonio last week. I thought of you as we flew over Texas. I love Texas but it sure was hot that week!

    Sue H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sue, Texas in August is miserable! I hope you had fun in San Antonio, it's my most favorite place!!! Did you make a stop off at the Pottery Barn Outlet in San Marcos :)? Also one of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm sure the guests who are staying over will love the room. It looks really beautiful. I love the functional decor ideas you have and the bookcase is just adorable. Thanks for sharing that sneak peak! I hope all your future projects meet equal, if not greater success! Kudos!

    Kristy Sanders @ CrebNow

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews