"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Happy 31st To Me!

I turned 31 yesterday! Everyone in the house besides me was sick though. Nick says the only thing worse than being sick on your birthday is having everyone else sick on your birthday!

Gemma has been sick for the past several days. It could be teething (me), it could also be allergies (Nick). Either way she has had a fever and a leaky faucet for a nose since Wednesday. Nick has definitely had allergies since Friday with a fever off and on. And poor Isla. Poor Isla!

Friday after Isla and I went to the Bingham Center we went to HEB (grocery store). Isla and I went into the restrooms and when Isla lifted her hand to have the soap dispensed into her hand, it shot past her hand and went straight into her eye! At first I thought it would be like when you get soap in the bathwater. It turns out it is a much bigger deal. Her eye turned bright red, and I ran to ask the pharmacist what I should rinse it with (the bathroom water was too hot). The pharmacist would not even come and talk to me, but girl behind the counter recommended just water (I’m so done with HEB’s pharmacy). So ran to the water aisle and picked up a gallon of purified water and rinsed her eye the best I could. When we arrived home, Nick and I got her in the bathtub and worked hard to rinse out her eye some more. Two hours after it happened she was still crying in pain and she couldn’t open her eyes. She actually fell asleep in our bed, after tossing and turning and whimpering, and she never takes naps anymore!

photo (43)

So I called her pediatrician to get more advice and find out if I could get her; she just reiterated that rinsing her eye with water was the best thing to do. We spent the day cuddling and rinsing and by the evening time, she could open her eye a little bit and seemed to be doing much better.

photo 2 (21)

But then my birthday rolled around the next day and she was running a fever and couldn’t open her eye again. She spent all day like this…

photo 3 (18)

We finally decided to take her to urgent care in the afternoon and it turned out she had pink eye! She had developed an infection, probably from the bacteria in the water we had been flushing her eye with. My sister-in-law (a pediatric nurse practitioner) called an optometrist friend who said that we should have been rinsing with saline solution all along because it was sanitary! Grrrrrrr.

photo 4 (11)

So bless her heart! We got her on antibiotics and she is doing so much better today. She’s back to her hyper self after laying around and cuddling for the past two days… only with a little extra clumsiness from only being able to open up one eye!

Nick said he was sorry that my birthday wasn’t all about me; he’s always so sweet about my birthday.  But, we have kids, so I’m pretty sure there won’t be many, if any, things that are just about me for the next 18 years or so… and even then, I highly doubt it!

I’ve done quite a few introspective posts this past year, so I will spare you much another one of those other than a few things. I didn’t do a 30 year blog post because it was such a crazy, transitional time. Now here we are settled into our home in our city, and life is really good. Before I became pregnant with Isla, I had a friend tell me to wait until I was 30 to start my family because she said life just seems much clearer at 30. Obviously I did not take her advice Smile, and I also now don’t agree with her advice, although at 25 it made sense. At 31, life seems so nice. I am really looking forward to the next few years of babies and raising little people and spending time with my adored husband. Beyond that, I have no idea what our future will look like. We can make all of the plans we want, but we don’t know what will happen. We thought we could control so much in our 20s, but now we know better. We’ve never had much control over the conception of our children. We don’t have much control over where we live. We don’t know what the LORD has in store for our family, and we are learning to be ok with that.

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” ~Corrie Tin Boom

I do also want to say that I have started seeing a Christian therapist for several reasons that I won’t go into beyond a vague reason which is that I very much want to have healthy relationships with other people and to be able to model healthy relationships for my children and show them how to set healthy boundaries around certain relationships. I am only sharing because there is such a taboo around therapy, and you should never be ashamed to ask for help if there’s something you feel like you cannot process or deal with on your own. I truly believe that the LORD has begun a good work in me, and he will see it through to completion until the day of Jesus Christ, and I’m so thankful to live in a city with such a strong believing community and wealth of Christ-centered resources.

So that’s that, and this is 31 Smile. Not too shabby.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for 31!! Happy Birthday! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews