"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Thursday, August 14, 2014

35 Weeks with Baby Shaka!!!!!

We are getting into the final weeks! Yay! I can and also cannot wait to meet this little one. Its going to be hectic for a while when she comes, but I am finally starting to get uncomfortable and ready to have my little one OUT!

Birthday Date

I know that very early in the pregnancy I had mentioned that my first Doctor thought that I might try for a VBAC if I wanted to. I feel like this topic deserves a post of it’s own, and I really, really appreciate all of the notes of encouragement that I received, but we decided to go ahead with a c-section. Once I switched Doctors is became a moot point, but Nick and I had pretty much decided on the three-peat c-section anyway.

This means we have a birthday for Baby Shaka, unless she comes earlier, which I doubt! She will arrive September 12th, which is my Father-In-Law’s birthday, and we love him and are very excited that he gets a birthday buddy. If you will recall, my original date was September 18th, which puts 39 weeks right on September 11th!!! Well there was no way I was going to saddle this poor kid with a 9/11 birthday, so I begged and my Doctor agreed to the 12th. PHEW.

I made a little count down chain for Isla and she loves pulling off a link every day. We are doing a lot to make the baby’s arrival special for her and so instead of calling it the baby’s birthday, we call it BIG SISTER DAY!

photo (40)

Test Updates

So, it turns out that I am Strep B negative, which is a first and makes me really happy. However since I was positive with Isla at least (not sure about with Gemma) they will go ahead and administer antibiotics before delivery.

Also I failed my glucose test so I had to go in for the dreaded 3 hour test, which wasn’t even that bad. At this point, I’ve had the orange flavored glucose drink twice, the lime flavored once, and then whatever this one was, but I forgot. If you have the choice, go for the orange, although none of them are that bad.  I actually kind of enjoyed the 3-hour test. I went in on a Friday and Nick kept Gemma and Isla. This summer was supposed to be my “Summer with Toni Morrison”. I had big plans to read all of her novels that I had never read… well so far I have only made it through Sula, thanks to my 3 hour glucose test! I just don’t have the time or the brain capacity at night to make it through anything other than my book club books.

And a side note: DO NOT READ SULA WHEN PREGNANT! And especially not pregnant in public. Without giving away too much, there are 3 mother/child themed deaths within a short period of time in the book and I had to excuse myself and go cry in my car while I waited for my next blood draw.

Late Pregnancy Ultra Sound

Since this is definitely not my first rodeo, I already know what to do and what is coming. I actually had to remind my Doctor about my glucose test, and then at my appointment Monday, I asked if I was going to have a late term ultrasound. My Doctor was like “you haven’t had that already? We should have already done it!” So Nick and the girls and I went in Tuesday to check on our little baby and everything looked very good. She is measuring on the bigger side like Isla! She is just beautiful and perfect. Here is a profile shot with a bunch of umbilical cord. It’s hard to get a good face shot this late in the game.

photo (42)

Hospital Visit

Nick and I went and pre registered at the hospital and toured the facility in July. It’s the oldest hospital that I have ever given birth in, but it will do. They have a NICU, which is comforting. It’s the only one in the area. I was a little nervous about the touring nurses response when I asked if there was lactation consultant on staff. She said that yes there was, but that I wouldn’t need it since I had already successfully breastfed my first two. The only reason that I was successful is because I asked for help. Breastfeeding is not easy, and I believe in surrounding myself with as much support and knowledge possible. I just hope the LC is willing to help a third-time breastfeeding mom if she needs it and doesn’t have the attitude of the touring nurse!

Unfortunately they are not set up to clean up Baby Shaka in front of me while I am being stitched up like they did at Gemma’s hospital Sad smile.

General Pregnancy Symptoms

So this will definitely be my heaviest pregnancy, however my weight gain slowed down and its looking like I will only be about 5 lbs over what I was with Isla (about 30 overall), and not 10, which is where I was originally thinking I would be. It’s so weird. I don’t feel like I have done anything differently this pregnancy than I did with the first two, and I also don’t feel like I do anything differently from one week to next, but sometimes I gain two or five pounds. This week I lost one pound. Sometimes I am the same. I have a friend Crystal who is just teeny tiny and she gained 40-45 lbs with her two pregnancies and she comforted me because she was able to lose all of the weight and she reminded me that your body just gains what it needs. Some disagree with that attitude, but it’s a comforting thought.

Also, I continue to have NO HEARTBURN! Crazy. Amazing. Wonderful. Awesome sauce! However, I finally have one crappy symptom and that is that my carpal tunnel is flaring up. I had it with Isla, but not with Gemma so I was surprised that it was flaring up with this one. I shouldn’t even be typing, but oh well. I bought wrist adjusters from Walgreens, and it works well on my left hand, but not so well on my right. There’s not really anything that can be done for it right now, but it makes sleeping hard. Plus my hand has started going numb just doing everyday things. Thankfully it has not gone up to my shoulder the way it did with Isla’s pregnancy. It’ll be over in 4 weeks anyway so I can get through it.

I’ll do another post on what we are doing to prep for this little blessing, but that’s it for now. Sweet Baby Shaka. Everything about this pregnancy has been so easy, from her conception all the way through to today! She is such a sweet blessing, and we are so thankful for her! We can’t wait to meet this little angel babe.

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for your guys and can't believe you are almost due! Time has flown by! Huge prayers will be said for you and your delivery, breast feeding and adjusting as a family. Biggest advice on breastfeeding and possibly no help at the hospital (I had no help) is to keep at it. I had Shiloh in my room and if she looked hungry or was fussy at all I was nursing and I really think taking the time to focus on nursing her all the time instead of managing visitors (our hospital was an hour away and with women not able to drive friends couldn't make it) and it helped tremendously. And as for the weight….oh my goodness I am in the your body does what it needs camp as well….60 lbs with Peyton (ran 6 miles up to my 26 week of pregnancy), 50 lbs with Graham (no exercise) and 40 lbs with Shiloh (did walking and upper body weights) and I was able to go back to my pre pregnancy size eventually with the first two and working on this one! You have created a beautiful life and have housed her, cared for her and that is amazing…gain whatever you need to! Lots of love and prayers to your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the prayers! You always do such a great job of losing your baby weight, I hope I can do the same. You're right, I should just focus on the beautiful little life I am creating :). I can't wait to meet her!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you about not taking breastfeeding for granted. I think you are right to ask about Lactation Consultants. One of the lactation consultants stopped by my room with Matilda, but she was sleeping, so I made sure to ask them to come by later when she was awake. I just wanted them to look us over with their professional eyes. All kids are different! Yes, the mom's experience helps, but who knows!

    You sound like you are doing really well and I am excited to hear all about baby's arrival. Have you guys gotten close to picking a name? I'm so excited to hear what you guys choose. I think Isla and Gemma are great names, and you'll pick something lovely, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right. I know I have experience, but Isla and Gemma were such different nursers, and I have heard horror stories about babies who were terrible latchers or moms who for some reason didn't make as much milk as the first. You just never know, and I want to succeed at this.

      We are no where near picking out a name. It's always this way with us. At least we aren't as panicked as we were with the first two. At this point, we know we always figure out something.

      Delete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews