"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Trips the blog forgot and my divine daughter…

So when Nick, Isla and I visited Jordan in October of 2012, Isla was about 2 1/2, and everywhere we went, people were so interested in her. She was cute, she was blonde, and she was little, which is a recipe for instant attention, especially in the Middle Easternish part of the world! We had never really worked with her on answering when people asked “How old are you?” and “What is your name?” It had just never really come up. So the entire week that we were in Jordan, we worked with her. Eventually when people would ask “How old are you?” she would answer in a deep, embarrassed, growly voice “I’m TWO AND A HALF!” But for some reason she had a really hard time with her name.

About the second to last day, a Muslim hotel worker came up to Isla and asked her “Little girl, what is your name?”

Isla took a deep breath, and in her deepest, most embarrassed, most growly voice ever answered…

“My name is ALLAH!”

Needless to say, after that, we never let her answer that question again!

Right after we returned from our Jordan trip, we found out we were moving out of Russia! And then we quickly left for a trip back to the US… needless to say, it was a shock to my system and so unexpected and pretty much from that moment on, I have been terrible at blogging about our trips and adventures! And I’m forgetting these little memories that were the entire reason that I have started blogging in the first place. This blog has many purposes, but if I give up the reason why I felt in love in with blogging, then I will just stop altogether, and that’s not good. So, from this moment onward, blogging about family happenings are going to be my number one priority. I love going back every now and again and rereading about our trips.

So I am going to quick recap of trips that the blog forgot, including the rest of our Jordan trip. I did blog about the first day in Jordan.

And without further ado! A recap of our adventures I missed.

Jordan Trip 2012 Quick Summary

Mount Nebo – where God showed Moses the promised land!

Jordan Trip 213

Bethany Beyond the Jordan – the place where Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist. Absolutely one of our greatest experiences of all time!

“BEHOLD! The lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world.”

Jordan Trip 150

Some castle in some town between the Dead Sea and Petra! (see this is why I need to do this nonsense in a timely manner)

Jordan Trip 323Jordan Trip 269

Lot’s Cave – it was about as creepy as you would think it would be… maybe a picture with Nick and Isla wasn’t such a great idea…

Jordan Trip 227

PETRA! We did a lot of walking… I have never been so pooped as I was after that day!

Jordan Trip 354Jordan Trip 379

We rode camels!

Jordan Trip 395

We hiked to the treasury!

Jordan Trip 431

Madaba – The Church of St George! This Mosaic map is how many of the biblical sites are being rediscovered! SO COOL!!!!

Jordan Trip 518

A shopping trip into Amman where we ate the MOST DELICIOUS shawarma ever, and visited the grocery store! Jordan has a free trade agreement with the US and the grocery store looked 80% like an American grocery store. Ex-pats in Jordan are so lucky! We stocked up on some American goodies Smile. Do you see the Honey Graham-O’s?

IMG_1296

Other than that, we spent more time by the pool. Nick received his FIRST EVER MASSAGE after a ridiculous amount of protest (I think he was the inspiration for I’m Still a Guy by Brad Paisley). Oh and of course he loved it after all of that kicking and screaming! Then Nick was sick the last day so it was just more pool and play time for Isla and me!

So that’s the reader’s digest version of our Jordan trip, which is probably what everyone prefers! I have two more trips to do quick updates on – Banff, Canada from November 2012 and VA-NC-TN Trip from November 2013… and then I will get to documenting our last two trips ad nauseum, which is just the way I like to do it! Also I love it when other people document their travels on their blogs to give me ideas so I’m hoping that maybe these will give other people some ideas when their travel time comes Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews