"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Monday, March 31, 2014

Farewell Too Soon

 

Aunt Jean

I just returned from a trip to Houston and San Antonio. We had been planning a long weekend getaway to San Antonio for about a month, but on March 19th, we received a very sad call from Houston that meant we would have to plan a detour.

My beautiful great Aunt Jean had passed away.

Some of you may remember that I said good-bye to my Aunt Pat in December, my father’s sister, and now my family has had to say good-bye to another sweet and beloved lady.

Aunt Jean was my Nana’s sister, so my great Aunt. 2012 was a very difficult year for my family, with three different incurable cancer diagnoses, the last of which was Aunt Jean. At the age of 81, she was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer and was given less than a year to live.

If only you have seen the grace with which she faced her diagnosis. Before cancer, Aunt Jean was the MOST upbeat, fun loving, adventurous person that I had ever met… and after cancer, you would almost never know the pain that she endured almost daily because she was just the same to the world. She was the kind of person who would stop everything to play with a little kid, who radiated kindness. When people stood up to speak about her at her funeral, no one had to make up anything nice to say… the trouble was keeping the speakers within a reasonable time frame! Everyone loved Aunt Jean.

Aunt Jean lived a full, lovely life, but that almost makes it worse… because she was SO full of life, even up to the very end. I know that I am going to miss her so much, and I can only imagine how her daughter and last living child, Sherri, will miss her and her grand children and great grand children and her sisters who were her best friends, and her little brother, 19 years her junior, to whom she was like a second mother. Please pray for them, Aunt Jean left a big hole in this earth, but we rejoice that she is whole and healed in heaven.

You can read a bit more about this lovely, beautiful, sweet person HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Stori, I am so sorry for your loss! Praying for comfort for you and your family during this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stori, I'm so sorry that your family, and this world, has lost a wonderful lady. Prayers of peace for you all. Lovely post your've written in memory. Hugs, M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stori, She sounds absolutely delightful and I can see a family resemblance between her and you. I'm sorry for your loss but wow have you been blessed with some wonderful women in your life!

    Sue H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys! She was a wonderful person and she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews