"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Monday, October 28, 2013

Thyroid Update

I made a trip to Houston a few weeks ago while Nick was in a conference in The Woodlands and also to get my thyroid checked out by my Doctor.

The great news is that my cysts/masses all look the same.  We will recheck them again in 6 months, and if no change then we will only check them once every couple of years. No cancer is good news!

And I have some more news.  Its actually good news, but also not great news. I mentioned in a previous post that I was HYPOthyroid – I made a mistake, I was HYPERthyroid at the time.  I was a hyperthyroid with Isla’s pregnancy and also for much of Gemma’s pregnancy and part of the postpartum period.  Anyway I have had a tendency to get those two confused, although not anymore.

Anyway, lately I have been feeling so scatter brained and extremely tired.  Like I can barely function I’ve been so tired and unable to focus. I have also been unable to lose the last 5 or 6 pregnancy pounds.  I am around 115 right now and I would like to get down to between 105 and 110. (I am 4’11” in case you are thinking that 115 a low weight.)

In an effort to gain energy and lose those last few pounds, I have been trying to go to bed earlier, and I have been adding a lot more greens in my diet. I had even read about proper digestion last year and how improper digestion can rob your body of energy.  So I started trying to implement some of what I had read, like eat light to heavy, take digestive enzymes and really focused on eating energy providing foods.  I’m not perfect, but I would have expected to see some changes. I also just chalked up the forgetfulness to leftover pregnancy hormones since I am still breastfeeding and I get really bad pregnancy brain or leftover stress from the move.

When I mentioned it to my Endocrinologist (thyroid Doctor) how exhausted I was even with my kids sleeping like champs through the night and eating well, he decided to run a few tests beyond the regular blood test to check how my thyroid was functioning.

This time I came back HYPOthyroid. This is also the first time that my thyroid stimulating hormone had ever come back above 1.  Here are some HYPOthyroid symptoms in case you might have some of them yourself (taken from WebMD:

  • *Feeling tired, weak, or depressed.
  • Dry skin and brittle nails.
  • *Not being able to stand the cold.
  • Constipation.
  • *Memory problems or having trouble thinking clearly.
  • Heavy or irregular menstrual periods.

I put a star next to my symptoms. Its important to note that a lot of times people have these symptoms and don’t associate it with their thyroid.

So I don’t know what this means long term, but for now I am on synthetic thyroid hormones.  It is supposed to take up to month for the medicine to take full effect.  I am sincerely hoping that the medicine will help me get my energy back and not be such a flake. I hate not being able to focus and not having the energy to keep up with my girls. So while I would rather have every part of my body operating all full capacity, I am very excited and hopeful that I will start to feel normal again.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews