"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Monday, February 11, 2013

What A Couple of Weeks

I really hate that my blog is becoming a place where I only update when crazy things are happening.  I am sure that my life is pretty awesome, and not just crazy, but lately it seems like that’s all that makes it up here.  I am really going to make a concentrated effort to blog more and about good things.  I hate when I think about all of the great things that have happened the past several months – Jordan, A Texas Night Before Christmas and many more fun memories, but I never got them up to the blog.  Part of the reason is that my laptop has been hijacked by Nick during my favorite time to blog (the evening) the past 6 months or so to stream American television, rather than on his iPad.  We are going to have to remedy this situation somehow… not sure how.  Anyway – its bothers me and this is situation that I will rectify. I love blogging and I don’t want to give it up!

Anyway, our past few weeks have been so nuts that I can’t just start blogging without mentioning them!

Here’s a recap of our difficult past few weeks -

It started with my illness…

  • Remember this little thing?  It turned into a virus, and probably a little bit of dehydration.  But it took four days, countless tests, trips in and out of the dirtiest hospitals I have ever been into, Doctors thinking it was anemia, pyelonephritis, some other kind of infection, telling me I couldn’t fly to the US, that it was too late to fly to the US anyway, angrily questioning why on earth did I want to have the baby in the USA and not Novorossiysk?  There were people in real authority who were telling me that I couldn’t fly and that I wasn’t well enough to fly.  It was pretty nerve wracking, and on top of that, I was in miserable pain.  BUT BLESSING!  In the end I DID get to fly home, AND Nick was able to accompany Isla and me, which was awesome, which he originally wasn’t supposed too.  AND, we were able to be together on his 30th birthday!
  • The next week Nick came into Houston for two days and then returned to Novorossiysk and we got as settled as we could.  I tried to rest and recuperate and get Isla in a routine and get caught up on communication (which I still am not). Plus I went to spend the long weekend with my In-laws because that was the only weekend I would be able to make it.


  • Sunday night I started getting one of my massive migraines while I was at my In-laws.  It lasted until Thursday, but I felt like a space cadet until Saturday.  I had to get on serious medication, which made me so loopy.

But who cares about my migraine!!!  I sure didn’t.  It was a major inconvenience because I had other much more important things to worry about…

  • Monday morning I received a call from Nick telling me not to panic or freak out, but… that he had woken with a pain in his side… and that he had gone to the Doctor… and they were in agreement… that he had appendicitis… and that he needed surgery… and that he wouldn’t have time to fly to Moscow!  *****Pauses added for realism, if you know Nick, you know that it can take him a while to get out what he wants to say.******
  • I admit that I had a few moments of panic; if you saw my original Facebook post, there were so many typos, I was shaking, not to mention the migraine was affecting my vision, but that was probably one of my worst moments.  Everyone, including Nick’s company, was so AMAZING though, not to mention all of the expats in Novo with his company, plus our church friends that I knew he was in good hands. 
  • Nick was also so calm and collected throughout it all.  He told me that he was happy that it was him and not me Smile.  Bless his heart, he is the best husband.  He said that he just wanted me to focus on staying calm and NOT going into labor until he could get home. 
  • Yes, he had to have his surgery in one of the very same hospitals that I had been in a few weeks before (and it had a bathroom that you seriously would not even see in the nastiest gas station in the USA – seriously, no toilet paper, no seat, no lid, just the rim, junk everywhere – oogggh). BUT Nick’s company got him the best Doctors in Novo, not to mention they had a company Doctor come into observe the surgery, who was a surgeon with a specialization in abdominal surgeries.
  • Truth be told, it went smoother than any appendectomy that we have had in either of our families in recent history – we have had some bad experiences. I am so thankful for everyone’s thoughts and prayers, truly they mean so much to me.
  • Nick experienced very little pain afterwards and he was mostly bored at the hospital.  He got a semi private room, in that he only had one roommate as opposed to 6 to 8, which is the norm here.  He sent me a picture!

photo (72)

  • It was a long week with a lot of back and forth with Nick, people from his company, trying to figure out how and when he would get home and when he would be ready to fly BUT…
  • BLESSING!!! He is coming home this Thursday!!! That is one week earlier than he had originally planned.  I am so overjoyed.  Of course he will be recuperating and won’t be able to lift anything or help out much with Isla, but I am so thankful he will be home.

I know that I sound pretty upbeat right now, but this has been a really stressful time for me.  I mean really stressful.  Being so pregnant, trying to coordinate a birth across continents, having these health issues pop up, amongst other things that are going on in our lives has really taken a toll. I’ve felt like my head is going to explode at times.  I am ready for calm and zero adventure for a little while – I am not sure that I will get it, but I am praying for it.  I told God the other day that I had reached my limit, I couldn’t handle anymore.  We’ll see… we all know how I love to disproportionately compare myself to Job whenever I have troubles and health issues, and I admit that I have been repeating Job 13:15 over and over to myself!

“Though He slay me, yet I will trust in Him.”

Maybe I have a tendency towards melodrama Smile, but I have been very stressed.  Right now I just want to get all of my family in ONE PLACE, and hunker down.

Anyway, I am hoping to catch up on a few blog posts in the next few days and remaining emails.  I finally have computer set up at my mom’s house that I can use and not just my iPad.  I really want to do an update on Miss Isla before Two Baby comes – she has just been blossoming; she is is my joy!

Phew, man I am tired. Signing off for now…


  1. I am sorry its been so crazy. BUT at least the crazy is DONE before baby2. Cant wait!

  2. Wow. You have really been through it. David and I have tossed around the concept of teaching abroad, and I always have to remind him of what hospitals can be like in other countries. Not to mention plumbing, legal matters, government offices, etc. This post reminds me of some of the stressful times my family had overseas. But I am so glad that you have come through it. I knew you would. You are so much stronger than you think. You can go beyond where you thought you could. Collective "you" and Stori you. I know sometimes it can be hard to relax from such a stressful time, but you have earned a rest and some family time. I am wishing you all the luck and calm thoughts I can send.

  3. Stori, I hope you are doing well after all of that! I'm sure you are a little preoccupied right now but if you are interested, here is a neat Lenten fundraiser that is helping several RR families and waiting children. They have a Lenten message each day which I'm enjoying so far. Take care and keep us updated!


    Sue H.


Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews