"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Thursday, December 20, 2012

When Your Heart Breaks

***I almost didn’t publish this, because as I have been reading, there have been so many people much smarter than me and much more qualified to discuss this issue than me.  I went back and forth but I am going to, even if I sound crazy. There are ideological reasons for the Second Amendment that need to be addressed beyond the practical.  The systematic, brutal treatment and at times murder of innocents is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, much more than serial killers or mad men or criminals. Its why I advocate for Reece’s Rainbow. I believe in the constitution and when followed, the freedom, and yes, human life that it protects.***

I know that I am not alone in my heart ache in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting. It was such a horrible tragedy.

I wasn’t surprised by the shooting though.  We know we live in an evil world in even more evil times. Every day I read stories of child neglect and abuse; of people doing horrible things to one another... my heart breaks almost every day.

The hardest part in the aftermath hasn’t been dealing with the grief over the death of babies; its been dealing with the absolutely vicious rhetoric that has been going back and forth.  People are passionate about their guns – whether or not they want to own them.

I didn’t really want to have to write this post, but honestly I am tired of every single time some crazy sicko decides to abuse the Second Amendment, and as someone who firmly believes in the Second Amendment – I’m put under the attack.

Background on me – I don’t own a gun.  I have absolutely ZERO desire to go out and purchase a gun. If it looks like my right to purchase and keep a gun in my home is about to be infringed upon, then I will have to go and buy one, which I really don’t want to do.

I firmly believe in background checks to own a gun, no guns for felons or those who are mentally ill, registering guns, mandatory regular gun training – anything really that’s needed to ensure that responsible people are in possession of weapons.

As a law abiding person – yes, I’m a rule follower, there is only one reason why I would ever want to own a gun, and that would be for my own self defense or the defense of my family.  We don’t hunt in our family – I personally don’t understand hunting or its appeal – let’s go out and kill an animal, yay, what fun!  I’m glad my husband doesn’t hunt and would prefer to spend his weekends with us.  Obviously, I don’t intend to use a gun to commit a crime either.  So when I think about owning a gun, I always go back to my own self defense – selfish, maybe, but I don’t care.

Given that I would only ever own a gun for self defense – the only kinds of guns that I would have any desire to own are hand guns and/or yes, assault rifles.  You might think I’m crazy – again I don’t care.  There is a chance that I might have to defend myself or my family from criminals who wish to do us harm and/or the government should it ever come to it.  With over 100 million people murdered by their governments in the last century (all of them Marxist/Communist in nature) I don’t think that the idea is that far-fetched.

***Side note: All of my atheist friends, who are usually Marxist as well, love to talk about all the people who have been killed in the name of religion… and I think really “Khmer rouge ring a bell?  Mao Tse-tung? Joseph Stalin? Anything? No, nothing?”

People say that since our founding fathers only owned muskets, surely they didn’t mean for the Second Amendment to cover guns that can take out multiple people at once.  I would argue that that’s exactly what they meant.  Partly the amendment was put in place to ensure the availability of a militia, so that there would be no need for a standing army, but part of the intent of the law was to ensure that free people would always have a way to defend themselves against an overreaching government.  Remember, our entire constitution is designed around LIMITING government’s power over the rights of individuals.  Our founding fathers understood that in the history of the world, governments ALWAYS infringed on the rights handed down to man from God. Given the current sophistication of our military, do you really think that we would be able to defend ourselves with two-round shotguns???

Absolutely no school shooting could ever change the fact or the reasons why I want to keep my Second Amendment right to own a gun.

If people on the left want conservatives to be less paranoid, maybe they should look at themselves.  Do you think having a President like Barack “You didn’t build that” Obama who attacks entire classes of people and has also in the past spoken in favor of a “Federal Police Force” is likely to make us more comfortable or less comfortable with the direction that the government is heading? Crazy that he sees regular US Citizens as enemies, don’t you think?

For the record, I don’t trust Republicans on that particular issue either.  With all politicians, power is the end, politics are the means. Maybe my views are little skewed.  I’ve seen Venezuela, a beautiful country with beautiful people be completely torn apart by a mad man, who steals indiscriminately.  I live in Russia where people are finally starting to pick up the pieces of their lives after decades living in fear and oppression.  It could happen in the US, I don’t doubt it for a second.

And don’t think that I don’t care about the tragedy at Newtown.  If ever there was an incident to make me rethink my gun views – this one was it.  This doesn’t even compare to say, Columbine.  Columbine was a premeditated act – giving the two perpetrators time to find a weapon illegally or build a bomb if needed to carry about their carnage had they not been able to legally obtain a gun.  Their motive was clear – they wanted to get back at the people who had bullied them. To me, that just wasn’t a case for gun control, I’m sorry.  They would have a found a way no matter what. Guns or no guns.

This case is different.  You have a mentally ill boy whose mother kept these weapons in the home.  There was no premeditation, so yes, its possible that had he not had access to an assault rifle these kids would still be alive. I don’t feel qualified at all to discuss his type of mental illness or how to deal with mental illness in the US in the future, but from what I’ve read, he was a ticking time bomb, and it was only a matter of time before he was violent.  His family was afraid of him. He found out his mother was trying to send him away and he exploded! We can blame her for keeping guns in the home and teaching him to use them, but I doubt even she could have predicted what her son would do with them. She paid the ultimate price for her negligence, along with 20 innocent babies. Its heartbreaking.

But there are things that break my heart even more.

Things like this…belsen

And this…armenian-genocide-02-jpg

And this… khmer_rouge

People being lead away like sheep for the slaughter with no ability to fight back. It has happened over, and over, and over.  I found this article after I wrote this blogpost, but for an incredibly fascinating look at genocide as it relates to gun control, read HERE. Quote: “For example, so-called "assault rifles" are virtually never used in crime in the United States (they are used in less than one percent of homicides), but they are the best weapons for civilian resistance to a genocidal government.” I’m not sure how up to date that statistic is, but still…

I have always believed in the policy of peace through strength, so its always made sense to me that the more responsible people that own guns, the safer everyone will be.  I’m not saying that’s the solution, but I would certainly never think that disarming everyone would better. Evil people will always find a way to get guns, to harm, to kill, to mutilate, and innocent people should able defend themselves.  Sometimes I almost feel irresponsible because I so vehemently DON’T want the responsibility (and yes, it’s a huge one) of owning and maintaining a gun, and I’m putting my trust in others to keep me safe.

I don’t know what the future of gun regulation is for the United States.  I would have to do a lot more thinking, studying and researching and of course, praying.  It probably doesn’t do any good to compare the US to another country or cite another country in what we should or shouldn’t do or what works or doesn’t work.  Thomas Sowell wrote a brilliant article on the subject HERE because it has everything to do with the people of a nation and their psyche and less about their laws. (Although this TIME article on Switzerland  where it sounds like they are following the Second Amendment as it was intended, using a militia in place of a standing army, was pretty fascinating.)  I don’t know why the heck its so glamorous for disgruntled teenagers to kill other children in the USA – one nation under God. Is it because we have so little respect for human life in the US? Is it because we glorify the shooters all over TV? Is it because we have kicked God and his protection out of our schools? I don’t know. I have no answers right now. This is so horrible, almost every day I wonder, how much longer Jesus? And I pray for his return.

My friend wrote the other day that we should consider all factors to lead to this, and I agree.  I just have my doubts that liberals will do anything but focus on the guns and gun laws, when I think that there are a heck of a lot more factors than just that.

For now I know, almost every study that I have read on gun control when applied within the USA has shown that it doesn’t work very well, and tends to lead to higher crime rates overall.  I don’t know what the next step is, but I am willing to consider anything to stop the school shootings - anything short of completely shutting off the access of law abiding citizens to purchase and carry guns.

***After reading this, my husband wanted me to point that HE does not dislike hunting, he just rarely has the opportunity.  I don’t like it, and I think it’s a weird hobby. Glad we cleared that up.

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant and perfectly written, Stori. I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Stori. Well said! And, in all my thinking and hurting and ranting, not being a gun owner myself, I realized I haven't given enough credit to the loud voices calling for something akin to repealing the 2nd amendment, and that being one of the reasons quite reasonable folk are reacting to my call to consider greater regulation (geez if TX would do a fraction of what you outlined above).

    I'm skimmed your link, and without reading the study itself I'm going to take with a grain of salt Ms. Coulter's characterizations of it. I have no problem with CHL. But, I'm not sure in the US we have ever tried the kind of significant gun regulation that we would need to be effective . . . significant, but not anything that would infringe upon the 2nd amendment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen!!! I wrote a lot about this after the Aurora tragedy and just didn't have it in me to write again - mainly because I don't think anyone reads it. This is so well said. I heard people on our local radio saying that they think the debate needs to be over whether we have the right to arm ourselves against the government. They think maybe we don't and it is time for a police state. I have to say, that FREAKED ME OUT. What I find ironic, most "futuristic" movies revolve around people who have no freedom and their government controls everything. (The Hunger Games for example; and we just watched a dumb movie called Total Recall about that). I find it strange the Hollywood make money making movies that revolve around great revolutions (whether real or fictional) but instead are advocating just the opposite in real life. We don't make movies about that because they would all have sad awful endings. I definitely think our problems are directly due to our turning from God as a nation. Not because He is punishing us, but if you aren't walking with the Spirit, whose protection do you have? I also agree that we have a young generation that doesn't repsect authority or human life. I hate to say it, but you think a crazy person intent on killing wouldn't charge right through metal detectors at a school? I mean, really, how do you keep the guns out? There has always been evil, there will always been evil. The devil is crafty and will find a way. Take away guns, people will make bombs or carry knives or whatever. It is already illegal in the state of Texas to posses a "club" as a weapon (things like baseball bats). I only know this because I took the CHL class because it was my right and I learned a lot. Evil is here. It will always find a way in this fallen world (I know you know that, I am just venting now). The only way to fight evil is with the Light of the World. Somebody brought up the point that Jesus was born in a manger because Joseph and Mary had to flee from Herrod's brutality because he was killing babies. I used to fear the end of the world - just because it seemed scary. Then I stopped fearing that but wanted God to hold off just long enough so I could have a baby (probably fairly selfish and short-sighted), but now I do just want Him to come back. All I want now is for everyone to know Him so he can return! Thanks for letting me get it all out here. If you are in ever in the north Texas area on one of your trips back, we have to meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arg, just wrote everyone back, and then my internet went out. I have my internet!!!

      Patti - Thank you very much.

      Melissa - I am sorry, I linked the wrong article; I was reading a lot last night. This is the one I meant to link - more brilliance from Thomas Sowell. http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2002/11/28/gun_control_myths_part_iii/page/full/
      Its possible the its hasn't worked in the past because the laws haven't been comprehensive enough; I'm always open to being wrong. I'll have to think on it some more.
      Although I would at least read the second half of the AC article.

      Sassy - I always read your stuff!!! :) Thanks for your support.

      Delete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews