"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Little More RR Business–Tell Me What YOU Want!

So if you haven’t seen my previous post, please go and check it out!  What I am asking is so easy to do, and all you have to do is VOTE!!!

I was going to include everything in one post, but the last one got a little bit long, and so I am doing two!  And I may have one more coming…

I want to introduce you all to my latest Reece’s Rainbow Angel, his name is Sonny.

sonny before

What a little doll, right?  I have a soft spot for redheads, and I have a soft spot for Eastern European babes.  In November and December, I plan to reshare a lot of what I have learned in the past year or so that I have been advocating for Reece’s Rainbow, but treasures like Sonny are the main reason that I do what I do.  I have said it before, but I probably would never have worried about boys and girls like Sonny if they were in bright, loving institutions. 

Of course now I know better, I know and believe that a good family is better than even the best orphanage or foster home.  My friend Justine shared a little bit here about the changes that she saw in her son Super T after he came home, and Super T was originally in a very good program with therapy and kind people who cared about him and what they did.  Click HERE if you are interested in reading it.

My point is that it takes something shocking to catch my attention, and last year I learned something shocking!

In Eastern Europe children with disabilities, like Down Syndrome, are kept in regular orphan baby houses until they are between the ages of 4 and 6.  Somewhere in that time frame, they are pulled from the regular orphan program and sent to mental institutions, where their heads are shaved, and they receive no therapy or toys, and are often subjected to terrible neglect and abuse.

80% of children will die within the first year of transfer.  For children with Down Syndrome, that number climbs to 90%!

This is Sonny now, and he is why I do what I do.

sonny after

He has been transferred. Sad smile No more beautiful red hair, just a sad and lonely little boy, desperately in need of a mother’s love… and his time is running out.

So, I have a mission - to raise as much money as I can to help give his future family the courage to step forward and claim him!  It will already take a special family to see past the neglect and damage and sin that have been done against this little treasure, and I want to help take away the extra obstacle of finances. It costs at least $20,000 to bring these little ones home!  Trust me, it is not for a lack of families that these kiddos wait, and wait, and wait…

Angel Tree officially begins on November 1st, and I plan to do another giveaway.  I want to make absolutely certain that I am giving away things that people WANT, so I need YOUR help!

I am setting up a poll on the side of my blog for you to vote on what you want to win.

Poll #1 asks if would you prefer one or two BIG prizes, or many smaller prizes to increase your chances of winning something?

Poll #2 has several options of BIG prizes for you to select.  That way I can know what people really want, and what people will donate to win.  If there’s nothing you are interested in, consider leaving a comment below.

Also, if you are interested in donating something, anything for this fundraiser, please consider it.  No donation is too small!!!  Gift cards make great prizes.  If you are crafty or have an Etsy shop or home business, this is also a great way to advertise Smile.  Email me at slwann@gmail.com if you are willing to help Sonny or leave a comment below.

I will also be including two special little girls in this fundraiser!  They will be secondary, and donating to them will help increase your chances of winning prizes!

You may remember Suzanne from last year – she has also been transferred.

suzanne

And sweet Daphne, an older child who still deserves family!

Daphne

I look forward to another year of Angel Tree!!! Thank you for voting and helping me raise as much awareness and funding for Sonny as I can!

And don’t forget to leave a comment below if there is another prize that you would like to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews