"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Patong Beach

After re-reading my post from yesterday, I realized that I said that the staff was sweet about a million times – really three times, but that was two times too many.  Mea culpa – sometimes I don’t proof read very well.

One thing that Thailand is famous for being able to find things for cheap-cheap.  One thing thrifty Nick is famous for is suddenly getting the urge to shop and buy when things are cheap-cheap.  So needless to say, he was very excited to visit Patong Beach and check out some of their markets.

I however, was less than thrilled when we arrived at Patong Beach to find that it was kind dingy and shady, like Bourbon Street, but with Lady Boys…  I believe my exact words to Nick were “I wanted fake ethnic… not real ethnic.” (Feel free to draw any conclusions you want about me being an uptight, middle class, yuppy – you are probably correct.) 

We were hungry and the Hotel Bus dropped us off near the Hard Rock Café.  I was not feeling adventurous, and since we live in Russia, I admit I love little pieces of Americana where I can get them.  I am glad we ate there, because I had the best nachos.  They were so tasty.

Isla fell asleep on the walk over, so we had to wake her up when the food arrived.  This was one of those days where we felt a little heatstroked (I don’t know if that’s a word, but you know that feeling I’m talking about).

A

After that, we went and walked through some of the markets.  I didn’t see anything that I really wanted, even if it was cheap.  I just don’t see the point in buying something I don’t need.  Nick was a little bit disappointed at the prices, as in something that costs $50 in the US still cost about $10 or so (feel free to jump to any conclusions you want about Nick being a cheapo… actually don’t! He’s very generous where it counts!) .  He had heard so many stories about how cheap things were, and I think he was expecting things to cost just pennies.

Afterwards we took Isla to get some ice cream.

IMG_0398IMG_0399IMG_0406

After the ice cream, we only had about 10 minutes to make it back to our bus to our hotel!

On our way out of town, we realized that hadn’t taken a single picture of the actual beach and/or the boardwalk by the beach, so we quickly snapped a picture just to prove that we had actually been there!

IMG_0419

All in all, we had a lot of fun and we were glad that we went to see it, but I think that I speak for all of us when I say that were happy to get back to hanging out by the pool at our amazing resort!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews