"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tuesday Tidbits or maybe just our Trip Home

So this may be my longest blogging break in history.  I am not sure what is wrong with me, but I have had zero motivation to blog the past several months.  In spite of the fact that I have about twenty emails to respond to, including a particularly juicy gmail convo about my two of my favorite stroller manufacturers, I am going to attempt to pull together a quick Tuesday Tidbits, sans pictures, for your reading pleasure.

I leave for the US on Thursday the 28th (Happy Birthday Melody)! I am so busy trying to get ready to go that I feel like proverbial headless chicken, and may not respond to any emails before then, and I have my doubts as to whether I will blog at all in the states.

Its always so nerve wracking planning a trip home for several reasons:

  • The first one is time away from Nick.  I do not feel at Isla’s age that it is appropriate for her to be away from her father for more than two weeks at a time, and wonderful as they are, grandparents are no replacement, so I try to plan accordingly.  His schedule changes all the time in spite of my planning.  So this time we will be apart for 3 weeks before he arrives in the US for his 2 and we will head home together.  I am already missing him. (I do have to be fair and say that although twice now his schedule changed for the worse, at Christmas it changed for the better and we were only a part for one week until he could join us!)
  • The second is leaving my friends here.  We have really made an effort to bloom where we are planted, and we feel like God wants here for a reason.  And so how can we fulfill that purpose when were are not here? There’s just a lot of travel that comes with living overseas, so there’s always that struggle with connecting with friends and serving here and being able to travel with Nick for work or to see our families in the states. Oh and our R&R vacations. But our trips home are always our longest times away and that is the hardest time to leave.
  • The third is just traveling with my toddler. She’s a great traveler, and I have the trip down to science, but it is a 40 hours journey!  At least this time Isla will have her own seat now that she’s 2 Smile.  I know that a lot of people would probably say that I should have just bought her her own ticket all along, but at $1500+ per ticket, I did not feel like a good steward of my money if all I had to do was be uncomfortable for a few (well ok, 16) hours on various planes and be $1500+ richer, you know?

BUT, it is worth it to see my Mom and Dad and Mother-in-Law and Father-in-Law, and my siblings and Nick’s sister and all of our nieces and nephews and families.  I don’t say this enough, but I LOVE my extended family, and I have a great one.  I also really love my in-laws and I am always so excited to see them too!

This is how my trip to the US is going to play out:

  • My first two weeks will be in H-Town!  I LOVE my home town.  I am so happy to be there and celebrate our annual 4th of July (my favorite holiday) celebration with my family, plus my in-laws (PURE BLISS!).  After that it will be so busy trying to see all friends and family, plus fit in about 7 or 8 Doctor’s appointments, but I know it will be great Smile.
  • Then one week in Orlando with Isla, my mom, my dad, my niece and my nephew!  Its going to be fun, but HOT, but I know Isla will have a blast with Kendall and Aiden.
  • Then I fly back to pick up Nick where we will spend a couple of days in Houston so that he can go to the Doctor and see some friends.
  • Then our mostly last two weeks we will spend with Nick’s parents in Temple, minus two days that they have booked at the fancy Hyatt Bastrop that is going to be so much fun!

Finally we will all fly back together!

Our trips back to the US are far from relaxing because there are so many people to see and so many things to do, but I am really missing my hometown and my family and in-laws!  Plus as crazy as it sounds, I do love the one-on-one time with Isla in new settings and contexts and seeing how she reacts, even though it can be hard sometimes.  Its going to be “Wannderful” indeed. Smile

1 comment:

  1. I have REALLY missed you (your blog) but totally understand giving it for a while!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews