"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Христос воскрес! (Christos Voskriec!)

Happy Easter all! Today is the Russian Orthodox Easter, and even though we attend a firmly non-denominational bible church here (Calvary Chapel), we celebrated on the same day as our fellow Russians. 

What I have written above is “Happy Easter” in Russian although the literal translation is “Christ is Risen or Resurrected”!  I wish we could cut to the chase in English and just tell everyone “Hello, Christ is risen!” on Easter Sunday in the United States… could you imagine your Wal-Mart greeter saying that? How long would it take for someone to try to take that one to the Supreme Court and have it banned??? But I digress, and I shouldn’t because I have lots to share. And I am tired. But I will share because I think that my blogging mojo has finally returned for the first time since January Smile.

Also, TODAY IS ISLA FRANCES’ SECOND BIRTHDAY! How we love our little princess.  We are so thankful for her!  I will have a 2 year post coming in the next couple of days.

Also, we are home!  It was a pretty uneventful trip home, and it was long.  48 hours almost exactly before we arrived in our apartment this afternoon, and I calculated that we traveled 32 hours from our hotel in Phuket to our hotel in Krasnodar last night.  Yes we slept in a hotel 2 1/2 hours from our home in Novo, but we arrived in Krasnodar at 7 pm and Nick’s company has a rule about people driving at night outside of Novo’s city limits. It felt a little bit ridiculous, but it worked out perfectly because our pastor’s wife needed a ride to the airport and since a) it was Easter Sunday and b) her husband is a pastor there was no way for her to get a ride, plus the hotel we stayed in is super fancy, so no complaints from me.  So our driver picked her and her son up, dropped them off at the airport, and then came and got us.  We arrived at our apartment, dropped our bags off and then went straight to church to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord with our church home.  How special!

***One random thing that I am putting on the blog because I don’t want to forget, but we flew Qatar Airways most of the way, and every time we would get on the plane and no matter how purposefully we walked, we would have every single flight attendant ask us where our seat was and if they could help us find it!  How hard it is to walk a straight line and look up and read a number?  Apparently quite difficult for the people who usually take their airline.  Also, here is Isla asleep in the lounge in Doha.  Sweet baby.

IMG_0511

Here’s a little picture recap of our day:

Our birthday girl, helping Mama pack.  She always says “Ayay (Isla) pack too!” She is a great little traveler!

996

We first stayed at our hotel during our preassignment trip last January.  I was so jetlagged and we were only there for a few hours, but I remember thinking that it reminded of exactly the sort of the place that the “Inner Party” would meet and stay at during the Soviet times.  Although upon returning I realized that its actually a fairly new hotel, it still feels so “Old Russia” to me… even though it is Egyptian themed.

EFG

Then we went to church.  I know that I am like a broken record, but I love our church!  It was so nice to walk in and be greeted with smiles by people who were happy to see us and missed us while we were gone. Also, we sang all my favorite songs Smile.  That always makes for a good Sunday.  I tried to upload a video that I took of worship, but it is taking forever.  I will try to upload it tomorrow.

After the service all of the kids performed and they were adorable.  I don’t know if I have ever said this, but here in Russia, they start kids on classical instruments EARLY, as in like 4 or 5 years old!  So most of the kids got up and did solos on their instruments.  My favorite was Ruslan and his big brother.  He sort of stole the show with his mini-guitar!  He is the cutest little boy.

IMG_0538IMG_0540

After church we stopped at Magnit for some groceries and when we got home, Isla was presented with her Easter basket.  It was all books, stickers and sticker books and one DVD.  Her birthday present was 2 sticker books and 2 coloring books from Melissa and Doug. She will get her real presents tomorrow (fingers crossed!)  Stickers are her absolute favorite thing right now.  There is nothing that can distract her from them!

Here is Nick with her basket! In case you can’t tell, he is such a dork, in a good way… he’s a fun guy to have around Smile.

A

Isla when she realized that the basket was for her!

B

Isla checking out her stuff!

CD

That was our trip home and our Easter-Birthday Day!  I have about 1000 pictures to go through and I cannot wait to get started sharing, after a good nights sleep. Smile

1 comment:

  1. He is Risen! Isla is the cutest-tax day-Russian Orthodox Easter-TWO year old EVER!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews