"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why Holland?

When we found out that Nick was going to be in Nigeria for two weeks and my parents and I decided to meet in the middle (between Russia and the US) somewhere, I let my mom and dad decide where we would meet.  They chose Holland.

Why Holland you ask? Because we lived there in The Hague in the 80’s for 5 years and had never returned since 1989, almost 25 years! Wow.

And in case you were wondering, we moved quite a bit growing up and I spent half of my first 18 years outside of the US living in Venezuela and The Netherlands.  That’s not as much time overseas as some people I know, but more than most. 

The first day that we met up in Holland, we first went to our hotel in Leiden (more on that later) and relaxed for a few hours and ate lunch since my mom, dad and Nana had come in early that morning.

We then spent the evening checking out all of our old houses in Wassenaar, seeing our old school the American School of the Hague, the old ABF country club, walking around the downtown area of Wassenaar (fancy schmancy!), and we went and ate at a pizza place that I remember well. 

photo0083

There was a new owner and a new name, but they still made the yummiest pizzas and they still flipped and tossed the dough in front of everyone, much to the delight of all of the watching children! And parents.

photo (19)

At that point in the trip, I did not have a memory card for my camera as I had accidentally forgotten it at home.  I wish that I had been able to capture our old houses and my camera phone pictures didn’t really cut it.  Although my mother assures me that on the inside, they were absolutely hideous, on the outside they were adorable and everything you would want a house in Europe to be! 

And the town of Wassenaar was extraordinarily beautiful.  Those cobblestone streets were amazing.  I wish that I had been a little bit older when we lived there so that I could have appreciated it more!

photo0080

We only spent one evening going around Wassenaar, but since I am pretty sentimental, it was one of my favorite parts of the entire trip.  I cannot believe that I was lucky enough to live there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews