"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Monday, February 27, 2012

Bastogne

“The only land we ever asked for was enough land to bury our dead.” – Colin Powell

We were blessed enough while on our vacation to be able to visit the Battle of the Bulge World War II memorial in Bastogne, Belgium.  To tell you the truth, I am not that into war history – usually when I read history, I read up to the start of a war, find out who won, and then move on, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate the sacrifice of those who fought and died in those wars.  I want to write something really “poetical” right now, but I am not gifted with words.  I will only say that I am truly thankful for our volunteer army and our American men who fight and die for the freedom of others.

Even with that, there is something extra special about the Greatest Generation of Americans.  I don’t think that United States has ever participated in a cause so just before or since World War II and the defeat of the Nazis and Japan.  And as a patriotic side note – we fought two countries that we (the USA) rebuilt when we could have just left them desolate, Japan and Germany are now thriving International powerhouses thanks to the US.  You’re welcome world!

My little tough tank girl.

197

I am pretty sure my dad was crying in this one.

210

Its hard to tell from the picture, but the memorial was pretty impressive.  I couldn’t find an aerial view on Google Images in the 2 minutes I spent looking, but it is shaped like a star with a circle in the middle and it has the states where each of the soldiers were from along the outside legs and the inside circle.  I think that it was the states that the soldiers who fought were from because I didn’t see Pennsylvania… although maybe I missed it and it was just all 50 states.

211

Of course Texas, where the bravest of the brave are from!  More specifically… Texas A&M, but we will let it go.

214

And Louisiana, those other brave southerners (that one is for my little Cajun Queen Isla).

219

Ok, Dad was definitely crying in this one.

218

Steps leading down to the chapel.

222

The three faiths chapel with three altars, Catholic, Christian and Jewish.

224

It was so cold at the memorial, I don’t know how soldiers were able to survive the weather let alone fight for months during the winter!  After our 30 minute walk, we were ready to find a warm place and enjoy some pomme frittes!  Yum, yum.

233

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews