"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The House that IKEA Built

So after reviewing these posts here and here, I realized that I felt the need to identify where each item of furniture came from – really, I should have just said that everything came from IKEA.

In case you were wondering, I am not an IKEA nut.  Before we moved to Russia, we were told that our furniture would come from a manufacturer in Poland.  I wanted to buy a few extra things, namely Isla’s bedroom furniture (its all ours), the kitchen Island, and the storage unit in the entry way (not IKEA, Sky Mall).  IKEA seemed like a good way to go since everything comes prepackaged in a way that would ship around the world well, plus my friend had an IKEA island that she highly recommended.  Once we got here, our apartment’s Landlord was different than the other families and had bought all of our furniture from the IKEA in Krasnodar.  So between the furniture I bought, and the furniture that was already here, our house is 98% IKEA furnished.

Also once we got here, IKEA is the only furniture store that has “American” style furniture.  Russian-style furniture is very, very different from American, and not really to my tastes… so anything extra that we bought here in Russia, also has been from IKEA, like our barstools and our extra bookcase.

I don’t know why I feel the need to qualify this other than if I could furnish my dream home it would not be from IKEA – it would probably be from Craigslist.  I love getting deals on there.  After living here, although I am grateful for our very nice apartment with brand new furnishings, I may never step foot in an IKEA again!

Anyway, Nick and I recently rearranged the furniture in our living room and Isla’s room.  We wanted more seating in the living room to accommodate our English speaking bible study that we have here, and in Isla’s room we wanted as much floor space as possible to accommodate any kids that needed to come and stay while their parents were in bible study.  We also moved the big book shelf into the “study” area, but I didn’t want to take a picture of that… feeling lazy.  The study now has just the desk and the bookcase, we switched walls on the desk.

008 (640x417)009 (640x425)

I love Isla’s room.  I rearrange it every other week, but it just makes me happy to be in there.  It really is so sweet.  I love the fact that it is so BIG!  It will be great for sharing with a sibling one day since we only have two bedrooms in our apartment.  For the record, I am all for siblings sharing small rooms too, but when you live in Russia in an apartment without a yard, its nice to have bigger rooms for your very active toddler to run around in!

013 (640x415)014 (640x422)

I love, love, love our new living room arrangement.  I may not move it again.  Its so nice to have both our couches in here.  We almost did it this way at first, but I was nervous about putting our brown couch in front of the radiator.  Now that I have a little bit more experience with radiators, I don’t mind it so much.

So that’s what our apartment looks like right now, and you also know my true feelings on IKEA Smile.

2 comments:

  1. Stor,

    I love the new look in your home. Isla's room seems to have more room to play. It all looks perfect. Thanks for sharing. Melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! Your house looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews