"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Back in the (Former) USSR!

I think that some of you are wondering??? How is it possible that Stori has lived in Russia for 10 months and NOT used that title… I am the wondering the same thing myself.  I loves me a Beatle pun.

Thank you for everyone who was praying for us.  Our trip back Friday was nothing like our trip from Russia to the US in November.  It went so smooth.  Nick was flying business and Isla is still a lap infant (we are milking her under 2 status for cheap travel as long as possible – yes, that’s with my blessing), so our plan had been to send Isla up with him so that she could sleep in a bed (their seats fold flat and wide – awesome).  However upon boarding I was met by a representative who told me that Isla would not be able to sit with her dad since she was booked on my ticket, which was ridiculous IMHO. She’s his daughter and she is still a lap infant without a seat or a meal – why can’t she sit with him (I was struggling with my contentment resolution a little bit)?  I think the trip from November was still kind of fresh in my mind – it was seriously so awful.

I argued politely, but they did not budge, however they did offer me two seats in a different location than the crowded bulkhead that turned out to be three seats in an empty row!  I told Nick to stay up front when he was sleeping but to check on us every now and then if he was awake.  We would be fine, I was/am an old pro at this by now.  Thankfully this trip was a throwback to my first trip back to the US with Isla – she was delightful.  I loved the one-on-one time with her.  When we are in the states I feel like I don’t get to spend as much QT time with her since there is no way I can compete with Grandparents and I want them to get as much time with her as possible. But on the plane she was mine-all-mine. She played and napped and ate was just so adorable.  Eventually Nick came back with us for good since he couldn’t sleep and between the two of us we got her to sleep for a long time.  Also, the flight was only 11 hours as opposed to 14 so that really helped things.  Another thing that helped the flight be enjoyable… not vomiting.

We arrived in Moscow on Saturday and spent the night at the Marriott Aurora.  We tried to stay up as late as possible but somehow Nick and I found ourselves all snuggled into bed with Isla between us at 5 o’clock, not smart since we wanted to get snacks in the lounge at 5:30, and by 5:05 PM we were out!  We all slept until midnight then we up on and off at various times until breakfast at 6:30 AM.

Sunday the flight to Krasnodar and the the 2 1/2 hour drive home were uneventful.  We have been doing great with the jetlag, maybe we are getting used to this expat life… either that or Benadryl.  Last night I made it from 7:30 to 4, Nick from 7:30 to 6:30 and Isla from 7:30 to 7… and its now 9 and I am still able to keep my eyes open. I think by tomorrow we will be back up to 95%.

Ok that was a lot of minutia. Here’s a condensed version of what we have been doing in our two days home.

Yesterday was so nice, I unpacked and played with Isla.  And today we saw Agnessa and our favorite driver Andrei! We love, love, love Agnessa.  She is so sweet.

I also made my first batch of homemade pasta today – spinach pasta.  I am pretty pleased with how it turned out, although I need to master the art of removing the noodles from the processor without letting them stick together.  Here are some pictures of it, and also some pictures of Isla for the grandparents.  It is so hard to get a good picture of her these days!

021 (640x425)

022 (640x425)

028

034 (640x425)

029 (640x425)

033 (640x425)

That is it. I must go to bed now… zzzzzzz.

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up with the "not vomiting" and I love the noodles!!! (And cute kiddo, too!) Glad you had a good trip back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) You know I LOVE the pot title, you are certainly no "day trippers" in Russia. :)
    b) your noodles look great. I got one of those kitchen aide pasta makers for my kitchen aide (both as wedding gifts), and I have never once made pasta, though I had dreams of becoming proficient at pasta making and never buying pasta again. oh well! Way to go you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews