"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving

Isla and I are safe and sound in Texas! Whoo hoo. We love the Lone Star State :). And I am sipping Cookie's hot chocolatey heaven right now, all is right with the world.

We had the worst trip over, EVER. Thank goodness I can laugh about it now. I was already feeling pretty discouraged before we got on the plane because Isla was being so busy amongst other things that I wont get into (DME is the least kid friendly airport in the world - I may start looking for different routes home for that reason) and within an hour I started feeling something funny in my tummy... I am sure you know the feeling, the feeling that very soon, something will be coming... UP that is!

Of course being the Godly young woman that I am I immediately start blaming God - ugh, God, I asked you to prepare the way for me? Didn't I pray and ask you to make this trip easy for me? Couldn't you make Isla into a calm child for ONCE? Why does she have to have so much energy? Why won't she sit still and watch TV? And now on top of everything I am SICK! Lord, please don't let me get sick! You are awful for doing this to me!!!

And then like any righteous martyr I started to compare myself to Job because just like Job, everything external was going wrong, and NOW even my health was being taken from me. But then I snapped back to reality, and I quickly realized that I am nothing like Job. He went through far more than I ever have and never once sinned or lashed out at God in anger. I mean, I was upset because I had to corral a busy toddler on a 12 hour flight while sick... Thank goodness I had a busy toddler to corral, Job lost every single one of his precious children!

And then I prayed a different prayer, that I would have patience. That I would lean on God for the next several hours. That I would suck it up, die to myself, and watch over my baby girl patiently. That I would be joyful always and give thanks no matter what my circumstances. And the next several hours were the hardest of my life, but I got through it somehow, and was able to relay the story to my husband with a laugh.

I told him all about how Isla kept running into business class and all over the plane while I chased her down aching with fever, how I hit the bathroom and up-chucked during the worst turbulence of my life and thankfully managed to get it all in the toilet and not on myself since I didn't have a change of clothes on me, how Singapore Airlines - famous for their service - had the least helpful flight attendants on that flight, and somehow they had lost the reservation for a child's meal for Isla so she had nothing to eat but the snacks I had brought and the ONE jar of baby food that the flight attendants could scrounge up, how we had a head wind the ENTIRE time that turned it into a FOURTEEN hour flight, how Isla broke a glass on the floor that took forever to get cleaned up so I had to hold her squirmy, fighting little body on my lap, and finally at T-minus 2 hours Little Isla Frances vomited all over herself, the chair, the floor, leaving us only one seat to sit on that was untouched.

It was a tough trip! But we survived by the Grace of God. Nick got sick too, so there must have a bug that hit our family. And I have to be honest, once I got to my mom's house, I couldn't believe that I had done it.

Anyway, I didn't do a Thanksgiving post on the day, but I want to do one now because I am very thankful right now.

I am thankful for the following things-

My God - he made the heavens and the earth, and yet He loved me enough to become human and die on the cross in atonement for my sins so that I could be right with Him and spend eternity worshipping Him.

My trip is OVER and that I am at my parents, and I don't have to do that flight by myself again until Isla is much older because Nick will be with me on my way home to Russia.

My husband. I love him so much, and he loves me too.

My baby girl, we prayed for so long for her and she is the most blessed, funny thing in our lives.

Our parents, both mine and Nick's, we are so lucky to have TWO sets of amazing parents.

An extra one for my mom, she was waiting for me when Isla and I got up at 5 am, ready to snatch Isla up and feed us breakfast!

My family. They know me best and still love me.

My friends, the new ones in Russia and the old ones in the states, I have been blessed with the BEST friends.

Nick's job, we have everything we need plus a little extra, and we get to live in and travel to some amazing places.

Our health - we are all pretty healthy and that is awesome.

For technology that allows me to keep in touch with people from all over the world, and get home in two short days.

For my new warm winter jacket, I've really been needing one and the one I ordered from Land's End is perfect.

That it, there are probably a million and one small things that I am thankful for but those are the ones that come to mind right now!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. WOW! You are a trooper! I'm so glad you two are "home" safely with family. And what a sweet mom you have up and ready to help out!!! Happy Holidays! I'm not sure Lauren's exact schedule, but coordinate with her and hopefully we can all get together. :)

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews