"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Our Eyes Opened

***UPDATE***

I wrote to Katerina's mommy to ask for permission to share her story on my blog. This is the response I received:

Stori (what a lovely name), of course I am very glad for you to share Katie’s story—the wider the truth spreads, the better. Did you know that the Katerina on the S*rbian video is not our Katerina? Our Katerina was nine years old this year, and was from B*lgaria. We just named her for the little girl who God used to open our hearts to adopt. I know I need to address this in a Q & A and plan to do that soon!
Love and blessings!
Susanna

I would never have intentionally mislead anyone into thinking that this was Katerina's orphanage if I had known, and I am so sorry. This was just the impression that I received from reading the Musser family blog! I also know that they did not intend to mislead anyone as you can read from above. I don't think that this changes much though - that orphanage DOES exist. Katerina received the same level of care that those children did (and still do) receive at her orphanage. These beautiful children live in inhumane conditions, they don't have much time, and we need to move on this NOW.

***END UPDATE***

It often amazes the responses that I hear from Christians when they find out about the orphan crisis – the 147 million children worldwide who do not have a mother or father. Often I hear them say that prefer to keep their money at home, to donate locally and help orphans living at home, the implication is that this isn’t the problem of the USA or Americans. I agree up to a point, but not to the point of doing nothing.

The thing is, my God LOVES the WORLD. He is the defender of the fatherless no matter where they are from. And WE are his CHURCH. His beloved bride, his hands, we are the ones who He has called to live in His heavenly kingdom on earth. He commands us to “defend the cause of the weak and fatherless.”

Is this little girl not your problem? 9 1/2 years old and only 15 pounds!

IMG_3272-450x337

Her name is Katerina Hope.

Do you want to see where she spent the first 9 years of her life? Only the very brave will watch this video – I promise you, your eyes will be opened.

Did you see Katerina’s precious little body in the video? Holding onto the reporters hand and not wanting to let go? Do you know that her mental institution is considered one of the good ones in her country? YES – the one on the video. She has an amazing story that I will share a little bit about tomorrow.

We are His Church. This is OUR problem. We can make a difference! And tomorrow, I am going to show you just how much.

"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act." Prov. 24:12

I know that you think that this is a big push for money. It is a little bit – my little Kai-man needs a family! But there are other things that you can do to help.

  • You can spread awareness! I didn’t always know about the orphan crisis until I happened upon it thanks to the miracle of blogging. You can tell others about it, send emails, blog, tweet… be creative.
  • You can sign up to be a Prayer Warrior through Reece’s Rainbow. I believe fully that prayer is the BEST weapon against the enemy.
  • You can ADOPT one of these kids. Yes you really can! All the money in the world is nothing if Christians will not step up to the plate for these children.
  • You can sign up like I did to become an Orphan Warrior/Christmas Warrior and learn the joys of pestering your friends and family for money. I kid, I kid.

And of course, you can also donate money! It is so needed, and believe it or not, all over the United States God is raising up families to bring these children into their forever families, and they could use some help. Kai’s future family will need help, and if you do, you also gain the chance to win an iPad 2! For details, click HERE.

In the upcoming days, I am also going to extend the iPad giveaway to a few other children that are on my heart – waiting for the forever families. I hope you fall in love with them like I have.

1 comment:

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews