"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Last Straw…

Over the next few weeks, I am going to share some of the resources that I have been reading since I first learned about the Orphan Crisis over 8 months ago.

I know that I probably shouldn’t start with what finally pushed me over the edge, but its so fresh in my mind.  And besides, everyone reaches that point where they realize that they have to do something at a different time so maybe this won’t do anything for you or maybe it will – who knows?

Last week, I read a book called “The Boy From Baby House 10”.  I read it in one night.  I stayed up until 2 in the morning because I could not put it down.

9780312576974-l

Then I stayed up even later because I could not stop thinking about what I had read.

The Boy from Baby House 10 is the TRUE STORY of a young boy named John Lahutsky with a mild form of cerebral palsy, born in Russia after the collapse of the Soviet Union.  Even though he was a bright, engaging boy, he was incorrectly labeled an invalid and an imbecile and he was locked away in a room at Baby House 10 until he was 6 years old.

I am tearing up right now just thinking about what he went through in Baby House 10.  It was horrible. Horrible.  He endured drugging, abusive caretakers, and full on neglect.  I read and I cried and I ached for this little boy.  I didn’t think that it could get much worse.

But you know what?

That was nothing. NOTHING compared to what he endured once he was moved to the “Internat”. Baby House 10 was a loving, wonderful place compared to where he was sent.

In Easter Europe and Russia, all children with downs syndrome or who are deemed to be of lower intelligence are sent to Insane Asylums at the age of approximately 6 years old.  Roughly 95% of children sent to these places DIE before they reach adulthood.

These are no place for children, no matter what their mental state, but many of them are fully cognizant, just like John.

Let me share with you a quick excerpt from “The Boy From Baby House 10” about the day that John (Vanya) was dropped off at the Internat…

Already traumatized by his journey through the asylum, Vanya (John) stared in horror at the scenes before him. The room was crammed full of cribs. Not wooden ones like in the baby house, but bigger ones with high metal bars, like cages. In each crib was a bare mattress. There were no sheets or blankets. On each mattress lay a child. Some were naked. Some were wearing only a dirty undershirt. They were lying in puddles of their own urine. One was lying in his feces. Another child was banging his head violently against the bards of his crib. They were moaning and crying.

Before he could say anything, the deputy had taken Vanya from Svetlana and torn off his coat and boots and dumped him in an empty crib. As Vanya struggled to pull himself up, he noticed the boy in the crib next to him was tied up in an old sheet so that he could not move his arms. He was rocking from side to side.

Vanya grabbed hold of the bars of the crib and looked around frantically for Svetlana. She was by the door, not looking at him.

“Svetlana, Svetlana. Why am I here?” he shouted, breaking the silence. “Why has she put me in this crib?”

“Oh he can talk can he?” said the deputy director, surprised. “You’ve brought us a talker – a troublemaker? As though we haven’t got enough problems already.”

Suddenly the terrible truth hit Vanya like a punch in the stomach. “You’re not leaving me here are you?

Svetlana never turned around. The deputy ushered her out, shutting the door behind him. Vanya hurled his body against the bars of the crib and screamed as loud as he could. “Don’t leave me here Svetlana.” He heard the key turn in the lock.

For the next 10 months, John was never held or cuddled or talked to by anyone who worked at the asylum.  He was drugged so that he would always sleep and not be a problem. He was only taken out of the crib to be changed and fed. He was left for hours naked or half naked, freezing, lying in his own filth.  He was slowly losing his ability to talk, to chew food, to do any of the previous things that he had been able to do.  Eventually his story had a happy ending, but for most children like John, there is not a happy ending.

You can’t forget something like that.  After reading this book, and I encourage you all to read this TRUE story, I just knew that I had to do something. That was when I contacted Reece’s Rainbow and agreed to be a Christmas Warrior for Little Kai.  Trust me, I have more information coming, but Chinese orphanages are not much better than the one that I have just shared with you.

Please, please take notice of the Orphan Crisis and especially the plight of the special needs orphans – PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO LITTLE KAI!  Help his future family raise the funds to bring him HOME. 

I’ll leave you with this quote -

“In every Internat we always find one or two Vanya’s, children who are obviously intelligent. Among the screams and complete silence, there is one boy or girl who is able to converse with us and begs for a toy.”

“There are still 5,000 children in Russia who live in what is called permanent bed regime, that is, they condemned to spend their whole lifecycle in bed.” ~Sergei Koloskov, Russian Children’s Advocate

You can find out how to win iPad 2 AND help a special young boy find his family by clicking on the link below: http://storilayne.blogspot.com/2011/11/help-kai-and-win-ipad-2.html

1 comment:

  1. Every Christian should read that book. It ripped my heart out!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews