"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Monday, June 20, 2011

Brain Dump

I woke up this morning with so much to do that I don’t even know where to begin!  I was also feeling unusually anxious and unable to pray and have my quiet time with the Lord, so I thought maybe a good old fashioned brain dump might help me get it together today.

*****UPDATE: Nick is in Moscow all week… if that makes any of my ramblings clearer.*****

  • Last night after Isla went to bed, I just sat on the couch.  And sat.  And sat. And sat.  I sort of watched TV and I sort of played around online, but I did literally nothing.  I was just so beat.  Big mistake because I was really behind today. I kept thinking that I should blog because I am so behind or I should do some work, but I just couldn’t make myself do it!  It was so bad… I couldn’t even make myself put in a video game because that would require too much mental energy. I finally worked on getting our new bookcase organized for a little bit.  It looks really good.
  • Right now, I’m looking at my apartment and wondering… was this place just clean a couple of days ago??? I have been watering my friends plants while she was away in Scotland and her apartment was spotless – clean and picked up!  I always have hopes of leaving my home clean when we go away on vacation, but normally we are packing things at the last minute and throwing things together and chasing Isla, so it usually looks like we came back to an abandoned gypsy camp.
  • Poor Nick did not get much of a father’s day.  I almost bought him an iPad, but at the last minute, I couldn’t go through with it.  Truth be told, with Nick it is usually better to err on the side of NOT spending money, so I talked it over with him and he agreed that now was probably not a good time. Its not that we can’t afford it, its that we choose not to spend the money.  After 5 years of two engineering salaries, Tiffy (Nick’s sister) giving us The Total Money Makeover in our first year of marriage, and now having an overseas salary, there is very little that we can’t afford, but we think that just because you have the money, doesn’t always mean you should spend the money.
  • I know I give Nick the reputation of being a tightwad, but he is actually so very generous.  He is not a hoarder.  If there is anyone in need ever, he is the first one to give them money or give them his time.  He just has a hard time justifying what he deems frivolous expenses – which is anything above food, clothing and a roof over our heads.  It can be frustrating for a wife like me – I wouldn’t call myself extravagant by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like my occasional frivolous purchases (i.e. Isla’s bows!).
  • I also know that it looks like we are living the high life over here with all of our traveling, but the truth is that most of our trips are being financed either all or in part by Nick’s company.  Either I am accompanying him on business and they are paying for our hotel and his airfare, so I only have to get mine, or they are financing it entirely.  He travels so much that its important for us to be together as a family.  This is considered a hardship assignment, so we also get two paid for vacations a year.  This year we are going to Ireland and Italy.  Don’t be mistaken, Nick works like a dog here, and he has to travel so much.  He deserves his little R&R.  The only trip we are exclusively paying for is my trip to visit Finn in July/August.  I have some guilt over leaving my husband and taking Isla away from her father and spending the money, and I am really dreading the flight over, but I know it will be worth it!
  • I usually feel so guilty over our financial blessings.  Nick says we should never apologize for what we have because its not like we stole it!  We earned it, but I still sometimes fret over being the camel who cannot pass through the eye of needle.
  • Isla slept for over 14 hours last night.  She practically put herself to bed at 6:40 PM, and then I decided to let her sleep in because she needs catch up days since we went a lot this past weekend… low and behold she didn’t make a peep until 9 AM this morning!
  • Our house has still not sold in the states.  I wish it would sell.  I haven’t even prayed about it because I just haven’t worried about it.  Now I am going to start praying.  We will lose money on it, and we have to lower the price even more.  The prices were inflated post Katrina and although our realtor at the time assured us that the prices would NOT go any lower than Dec 2007 prices; they did in fact proceed to go lower.  It’s a total bummer.
  • I have lost a few pounds since we moved here.  This is in spite of the fact that I have picked up a “coke a day” habit, eat full fat dairy everything, and have been freely indulging in salami many times a week, which I never bought in the states, only gazed longingly at in the meat counter.  Friend’s theories include – no more fluoride in the drinking water (interesting theory… I must look that one up more).  It’s probably a combination of no more cookie dough, less sugar in general, and almost no fast food or eating out.
  • I really need to start exercising.  I have realized that only time I will do it is if I start getting up at 6 AM and doing the 30 Day Shred video… but the getting up at 6 AM is just so hard!
  • I want some new blogs to follow… anyone have any suggestions??? I am really into blogs of people living overseas if anybody knows of any good ones.
  • Isla just started crying about 20 minutes after I put to her bed.  I went in and cuddled her.  She signed “milk” so I nursed her.  We cuddled some more and she jabbered.  Then she said “nigh nigh”, which is her version of “night night” to tell me she wanted to go back to bed!  Pure preciousness.
  • I used to think it was weird to nurse a baby past a year, but the truth is, it is super duper awesome!  The bonding time only gets better.  At first I was embarrassed that I didn’t plan on weaning her at a year, but now I don’t care what people think.  It works really well for us, especially with all of the traveling.  Sometimes its hard to find her food since she’s such a late teether, so I am thankful that she gets at least some nutritionally complete food.
  • I think it would be so cool if some totally random person started following my blog.  I want to keep my “followers” kind of low because then I would feel like I needed to censor what I put on here… but I do think it would be cool if someone just started following it out of the blue.  That hasn’t happened yet though… I guess I am just not that interesting!
  • I am having my blog “made over”!  I am very excited and I hope it is complete before we leave for Ireland.
  • And finally and most importantly, we just had a lady come to our church from one of the former soviet “stans”, I don’t even know which one although she told me several times.  Her country is in the middle of a civil war.  She left with her husband and four children with no money, to come to Russia to make a better life for them.  They have been living off of the generosity of strangers, they have no job right now and no place to stay.  Can you imagine?  Please keep them in your prayers.  My hearts breaks for them.  Thankfully we serve the great I Am, and He always works for the good of those who wait for Him.

Cookie asked for some pictures of Isla… I took these a couple of days ago.  Nick has our good camera so I couldn’t take any today… this is the best I can do!

017

010

009

008

006

1 comment:

  1. OH i can NEVER get enough of those pictures. Can't believe she left the bow in her hair. I am so happy that lady and her family found your church,no, I can not imagine having to leave my home, it is my most favorite place on earth. I will remember to pray for that family that they get settled and are safe and happy. Love you sooo much, enjoy your quiet, quiet time is a necessity for sure. Mom My favorite blogs right now are Miss Mustard Seed and Before After also Chickens in the Road. Also Lauren's blog!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews