"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New Apartment

We don’t have very good signal from our hotel room, so I have to go into the floor elevator area to check email, ect.  I wrote this on Live Writer, and I am just sneaking out during Isla’s nap to publish!  I don’t know how much you will be hearing from me over the next few days, but I will try to keep you posted the best that I can.

I was able to go and see our new apartment today for the first time, and it is BEAUTIFUL!  This has been such an exercise in trusting God to provide.  When we found out that we were moving to a foreign country, I felt like the one thing that would be important to our happiness here was the home we had.  I wanted it to be sanctuary since ever time we went out, especially at first, things would be a struggle since we don’t know the language and everything is new.  I am ashamed to admit it, since God is our refuge and our strength, not homes or things, but I really wanted a nice place to just come and be with my family when things got stressful here. 

When we came for our pre-assignment trip, I learned that almost all of the apartments are in the same building and one of two layouts, but owned by different people.  Because of this, they were all finished differently.  For instance, our apartment as 1 1/2 baths, almost all of the rest have 2 bathrooms, etc.  Some of the apartments were decorated crazy, and I mean LOUD colors, all shades of blue, purple, ect.  Now I like color in its place, but I was so worried that ours would look wild when it was done.  Every time I started to worry about it, I would intentionally NOT worry about it and turn it over to God.  I tried to remember to be thankful that we were able to serve him in such a unique way and be thankful that we would have a nice and NEW place to live!

After visiting the apartment today, I am just overwhelmed by God and his goodness and his love for me!  He does provide.  He is so generous, and as he promises, he is the giver of GOOD GIFTS.

Just check out my HUGE kitchen!  Its nicer than my kitchen in the states, no lie.

Big Kitchen The living room:Living Room The master bed room:Master 1 Master 2 Master bath/laundry room:Master Bath Isla’s Room:Islas Room Half Bath:Half Bath Half Bath 2I know that on blogger I have been mildly freaking out over not being able to pick out our own couch, and it all goes back to when Nick was in graduate school out in California.  We lived in married housing in a furnished apartment, and it was cute enough, but the couch was just a tiny little loveseat that Nick and I could sit just so on, never mind cuddle or snuggle at all.  We only had to endure that for a year, but I never planned to have to put up with that ever again, and certainly not long term (like the 5 years we could possibly be in Russia).  When we bought our first couch (the big brown one), I made sure to pick a BIG, soft one that we could both rest comfortable on, either snuggled up together or separated in case we didn’t feel like playing sardines.  Well guess what folks… our new couch is not only DARK BROWN to match our pillows and rug, but is also looks like its big enough for a good date night in!

big brown couch Now for the best part!  Oh, God is also so funny and has a wicked sense of humor.  One thing that you have to know about me is that I hate ORANGE.  Hate it.  When Nick and I were dating, one of the reasons that I knew that Nick was the one for me is when we were having a discussion about why we chose to attend Texas A&M and he said to me “You know, I didn’t have any particular attachments to A&M, but I just knew that I could never attend a school whose colors were BURNT ORANGE.  No matter how good of a school it was.  Ugh.  Its the ugliest color.”  I had always said the same thing about UT, and even Aggies thought that that was a silly reason to NOT attend a school.  It was also hilarious to me coming from my super manly, not at all metro-sexual husband!  No offense to you Longhorns out there, but orange is not my color.

Favorite movie quote of all times: “Whoever said orange was the new pink, was seriously disturbed.”

Rena (who was coordinating all of the apartments) asked me if there was any requests that I had about the apartment.  I was intentionally trusting God as I said, and I went back and forth on whether or not I should ask to bring our couch, etc, but in the end, I decided that I would not make any requests because I was trusting God.  He would provide and he was so good and be thankful for what I had. 

My only request was please, NO ORANGE.  “I can’t live in an orange apartment for three to five years”, I said, “I will slowly wither and die!”

Well ladies and gents… I present to you… OUR MASTER CLOSET!OK Closet Yes, that is a bright orange closet in the middle of my beautiful neutral apartment!  Dave calls it Oklahoma orange, and not Texas orange, lol. I am calling this my JOY CLOSET, it makes me laugh just to think about it.  I know that God put this here to remind me that he has a much bigger purpose for my time in Russia than to worry about what I will eat or drink, or what I will wear, or where I will live.  He always provides!

Anyway folks, I hope that you enjoyed a sneak peak of our new place!  I can’t wait to update with pictures once we are moved in.  Then again when our air shipment comes in.  Then again when our sea freight comes in.  Hopefully you won’t get bored!!!

Lots of love from Russia,

Stori

4 comments:

  1. I'd say that is kinda Princeton orange! It's definitely not my orange. (Though honestly, I don't like burnt orange, and most of my UT gear is grey or something.). But the rest of your apartment is beautiful! I'm so happy for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your apartment is BEAUTIFUL!!! I am so happy for you! I am glad you guys are there safely and settling in. This is going to be such a fun time for you guys! Love you dearly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I am gonna COME VISIT!!! The kitchen is AMAZING and Islas room is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Stori!!!! This is an amazing apartment!!! Can my house look like this please?!?!?!? Wow! Absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews