Happy Birthday to our little Isla Frances!
I will try not to be too gushy, mushy and just stick to the facts! Try is the operative words… I can’t make any promises.
- She is as sweet as she can be! She smiles all the time, and it’s really hard to get a good picture of her crying because she rarely cries. Not to brag on my girl or anything :), but people comment to me all the time about how sweet natured she is. Probably one of my most favorite comments about her of all times is one that Jessica made “She even fusses pleasantly!”
- She was a little fussy for a few days, but I am sure that she was going through a growth spurt because she cried a lot and wanted to nurse a lot more, but that’s it! She also cried when my sister, Mom and nephew showed up on Friday. It was so funny, poor thing, I am afraid that we laughed at her, but she was just a little tired because we had kept her up past her bedtime.
- Makes it from 7 pm to 7 am EVERY NIGHT with a 10 pm dream feed. Sometimes she wakes up and talks for a little bit around 5 or 6, but always goes back to sleep. We originally waited until 11 to give Isla the dream feed, because we thought the less time between meals, the better. But paradoxically when we moved the dream feed back to 10 she slept so much better and made it until 7 and longer much every single day. I think waiting until 11 was cutting too much into her night time sleep. Once we moved the dream feedback she started waking up cooing, whereas even if she would make it until 7 am she would usually wake up crying. Now I wake up to hearing her jabber on the monitor anywhere between 7 and 7:30 am and I walk into a HUGE smile! It is the best part of my day.
- First she had a hard time falling asleep at night. Then she found her thumb and was easy, until she figured out that she could suck her thumb and still cry. Now, she is back to falling asleep easily at night again because now she likes to ROLL TO HER TUMMY! ARG. I should have seen it coming as soon as she rolled over, but it took her about 3 weeks to figure out that it was nice to roll onto her stomach to sleep. Nick and I try to roll her over after she has fallen asleep, sometimes it works, sometimes she just rolls right back to her tummy. I think we will keep trying until she is 6 months old, but if she rolls back over to her tummy, we will just leave her. Its a good practice for us to remember that God is in control, even when we sleep and we need to trust him! We are trying not to stress about it.
- She is still 100% exclusively breastfed! My goal was to make it at least 6 months, and I am so proud to have made it this far. Nursing is not as natural as I thought it would be, and it hasn’t been easy making it this far. At least once a week Isla and/or my body will throw me a curveball and honestly just remembering that “breastfeeding is a commitment, not a choice” is what helps me push past it. Nick has been so supportive and encouraging throughout, and I am so blessed to have him! He wants Isla and I to breastfeed as long as we want to, and he constantly tells me that he thinks it’s such a “cool little process” :). I would ideally like to breastfeed up to a year, but I would be willing to nurse up to 18 months if Isla still wanted to. BUT NO LONGER THAN THAT!
- Isla is eating 5 times a day, at 7 am, 10:30 am, 2:00 pm, 5:50 pm, and then her 10 o’clock dream feed or roughly every 3 ½ hours. I would really like to move to a 4 hour routine, but I will hold off for a few more weeks. I also really want to cut out the dream feed, but I am a little nervous to do it before she starts solids.
- We have decided to hold off on solids for now. She is not showing any of the readiness signs, and she is getting all of the nutrients she needs. Nick wants me to hold off on solids for as long as possible and I am happy to oblige him!
Size and Activity:
- I will post an official weight and height tomorrow after her 4 month Doctor’s visit! Of course we think she is perfect. Her Aunt Shawna likes to call her Miss P.P., for Perfectly Proportioned! I call her my Roly Poly Perfection :).
- She is very close to outgrowing her 3 to 6 month clothing so I decided to wash some of her 6 to 9 month clothing and it fit pretty darn well. YIKES, big girl! I will say that everyone who sees her is surprised by how petit she is in person after seeing only pictures of her.
- Isla cannot sit up yet, but she is getting stronger by the day. She can hang for about a second and then she topples over! She is constantly trying to sit up though. She strains her little muscles all the time and can now easily pull herself up to sitting if she is semi reclined (like leaning on my leg or the boppy pillow). Her favorite game is to grab onto my fingers and/or clothing and do a pull up! She can sit up pretty well if she has something around her to help her if she loses her balance a little bit.
- She is such a wiggle worm and loves to be moving! I can’t set her on her back without her immediately rolling to her tummy and squirming.
- She is a major talker and I think has the sweetest little voice. She talks and coos all the time, and her little squawk to tell me that she is tired is even pretty precious. Most people don’t even know that she wants to sleep!
- She is still not very well coordinated with her hands and rarely tries to pick things up. She likes to get a hold of hair and or clothing if it finds its way into her hands! She doesn’t like to reach for toys really, but she will do it sometimes. She has been touching our faces a bunch when we hold her and it is so sweet. I love it.
- We have been reading to her more and more and she seems to really like it… with me as her mommy, she better learn to like it!
- Rolled over both ways
- Started sleeping in her crib
- Sat in her highchair
- Found her thumb, she is a thumb sucker, which is awesome!
- First cold
Isla is a total Daddy’s girl! She really does seem to favor him, and I am completely ok with that. I pretty much think her Dad is the greatest thing, so it only makes sense that she would! We are so sad because he has a busy, busy next month. He will be spending every weekend in Baton Rouge in preparation for his Professional Engineering exam, and he also several projects going on right now during the week for work. BOO! We won’t get to see a lot of him, but hopefully we can take a nice (inexpensive) vacation or something in October.
Well tomorrow is my 27th birthday! And it is going to be the best one yet. I told my mom that 27 felt so grown up and a milestone… not sure why. I have a lot to celebrate this year. I was just thinking about how sad it would be if not for Isla, but instead it’s going to be the best one so far!!! After my birthday I plan to get serious about losing the baby weight. I am happy with the weight that I have lost so far, but I would like to lose about 6 to 8 more pounds. It shouldn’t be too hard, I just need to cut back on celebratory and/or boredom sweets, which are my weakness. We do love homemade cookies around this house :). Either way, I feel beautiful and happy and so joyful!