"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Isla Frances is 3 Months Old!

***Update 7/18/2010, Nick and I remeasured her because he didn't think she was 24 inches, and she's only 23 inches. I agree. He also pegged her at 14.6 lbs on the scale... so... we need to get a little bit better means of calculating these numbers!

I can’t believe our little baby is one quarter of a year old! Isla is growing by leaps and bounds. She didn’t put on as much weight this month. According to our measurements, she is 13.2 lbs and 24 inches long. I am afraid she may be losing her rolls… NOOOO! J She looks huge to me though, so I think our scale may be off a little bit.


She is so strong and active. Her daddy has had her standing since she was 4 or 5 weeks old, and her legs just get stronger and stronger! We set up her ExerSaucer to give my arms a break during the day, and she LOVES it! She has started arching her back to show her displeasure with a toy, but she is almost always happy standing! Sometime I am afraid she will arch right out of her Bumbo chair. She doesn’t fuss, she just grunts and gets a very determined look on her face… I am afraid that I will have a little escape artist on my hands once she gets moving! She rolled over before her 1 month birthday, but still doesn’t do it consistently. I have to let her get good and mad during tummy time and then she will flip onto her back… I don’t usually do it for long enough to get to that point. She is also very close to rolling over from her back to her tummy, but she gets hung up on her shoulder. She has such a strong back!

Her hands are getting very well coordinated, although her favorite thing to do is keep them up by her little face like a squirrel. She was a little off routine when we got back from the 4th of July weekend and she woke up at the time of her dream feeds two nights in a row. That is usually the only time during the day that we give her a bottle of expressed milk. She was so funny! She kept pushing the bottle away and then she would take a break, and then she would pull it back towards her mouth. It was pretty incredible, and I was so impressed with my purdy little Cajun queen! The next night she woke up crying as I was preparing her bottle, and so I just gave it to her cold since she seemed so distressed. She stopped crying, but she just kept spitting the milk out and making faces. Finally I warmed it up, and she drank it right down! Its so fun to watch all of the little things she does. I know this probably doesn’t interest anyone but me, Nick and the Grandmas, but I think she is totally fascinating!

As for sleeping, she has always been a good sleeper, only up once a night since she was about a month, and now she is making it all the way through. She consistently makes it from her 11 o’clock dream feed to 7ish. Sometimes she wakes up a little earlier, and other times a little bit later. She is also now able to stay up for a good hour and a half before she gets tired and fussy. We will start trying to transition from a 3 hour routine to a 4 hour routine this month, which I am very excited about. It is much easier to get errands done the longer she can stay up since I like for her to take her naptime in her bed. She naps much better when she is at home, and when she naps well, she is a much happier baby! Plus I am able to get more done around the house. I know she has a growth spurt coming up, which can disturb sleep patterns for a while, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can weather it without too many night disruptions… she’s spoiled me so much that I told her it wouldn’t be fair to mommy to change the game on me now! J

As for personality, she couldn’t be any sweeter. She has started giving me the biggest smile when I go to get her from her nap or when I go in to help soothe her back to sleep. She smiles all the time, and she even does really well when we have to deviate from her normal routine.

And how is Mommy doing? I really feel so joy filled these days that I know some people probably think I am on drugs, ha! Seriously, I will write or say something and then look back and wonder “What was I thinking?” I think this is what they call “punch-drunk love.” The verse “He makes the barren woman to keep house and be a joyful mother of children!” runs through my mind constantly. Here I am, finally keeping house and a joyful mother of… well A child! J We are just so thankful for this blessing from the Lord, our little Isla Frances. He ALWAYS keeps his word, ALWAYS. For the first time in my life, I am really living in the moment because I don’t want to miss a second with this little precious bundle. I almost wish that time could stand still, but I still love each new thing she does! I am just acting as if she were our last and trying to appreciate each little phase.

Before she came, Nick and I solemnly swore that this would be a parent-centric home (which it will be) and not a child-centric home, we were family before she came, and she would have to fit into our lives! Now we just laugh at the idea that we ever thought this was a family without her… Isla makes EVERYTHING better! J

3 comments:

  1. Aw yey, such a GREAT update!!! Glad to read all of this from you :) Granted I witnessed it all a week ago, but I still like reading it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update!! We have that same outfit...it was addison's first SIX MONTH sized outfit!!! I am starting to buy 9 months sizes in carter brand!! I am so proud of yall and Isla for sleeping through the night! The way she sometimes wakes up a bit later and a bit earlier other times sounds just like addison. I love our baby wise babies!!

    I owe you an email---I want to tell you about the schedule change from 3 to 3.5---its been more challenging than I thought, but then again we were on vacation during the switcharoo.

    24 inches...COOL...we got a couple of long ones on our hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please try and update everyday, I miss her so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews