"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Five Wannderful Years!

In May, Nick and I celebrated a milestone in our marriage. We were married 5 years on May 28th! I meant to write a little post about it on the day, but somehow Isla/Memorial Day Festivities/broken internet got in the way.

The actual day of the 28th was very low-key. We went to lunch at Brio in the Woodlands (awesome lobster bisque) with Isla. Of course, my camera’s battery was dead so I didn’t get a family picture L. It was just so wonderful and special to be there as a family of three! It’s hard to believe that it took us so long to get our family started, but God’s timing was perfect as always.

My present for Nick was a new pair of basketball shoes, to be enjoyed now, and I also planned our family’s first family camping trip, to be enjoyed later! Nick loves to camp, I am lukewarm on outdoors in general, so I think he was extra excited when I surprised him with it. I gave him two sleeping bags, and a trip to Garner State Park in Texas in September when it will be cooler. We have never been to Garner, but we love the Frio River! I am actually really excited to take Isla hiking, and hopefully she won’t have too much trouble sleeping in a tent.

Nick’s present for me was super duper awesome. He bought me tickets to go see Wicked with dinner at the Downtown Aquarium in Houston over the 4th of July weekend. I have always loved plays and the theater, and I have been dying to see Wicked for YEARS!!! The Downtown Aquarium is where Nick took me on our first date on April 11, 2003. It was so neat because we were going to school in College Station, and rather than take me somewhere nearby, Nick planned a whole trip to Houston. It’s not that far (1.5 hours), but still it made me feel very special that he went to such great lengths for our first date. We were originally supposed to go to a comedy club, but the Aquarium was his back-up plan since the comedy club wasn’t answering his phone calls the entire week before we went and sure enough, it was closed. He is such a planner, I don’t know many boys that have Plan Bs in case Plan A doesn’t pan out for their first dates.

So, on Friday, July 2nd, Nick and I got all dolled up and we left our little Isla for the first time with her Cookie to go out and celebrate being married for 5 years!

A side note about the dress. Nick picked it out for me to wear that night - I added a little helpful tummy shaper J. I’ve had that dress since I was a junior in High School and I have only worn it one time for my graduation pictures. I always say that I am going to get rid of it, but I never do because I LOVE it. BUT I never wear it because even at my thinnest, I have always hated the way I look in it. Well since my resolution to model a healthy body image to my daughter and to stop criticizing my looks, I am wearing all sorts of things I never wore before, shorts (I have knobby knees), sleeveless shirts (never liked my arms), summer dresses (I’m short and I feel like they look weird on me), skinny jeans (“skinny” is the operative work to look good in them). I have stopped being so critical of my body, and even though it probably won’t ever be the same since having Isla, I have started being more adventurous than my usual jeans and a shirt that covers my arms. Since becoming a mom, I have never felt more beautiful… it also helps that Isla looks just like me, and she is the most beautiful little thing I have ever seen!

Another side note about the dress. Not a great choice for a breastfeeding/pumping Mom!

Dinner at the Aquarium was just so special! It was a little bit more family oriented than I remembered which I liked because next time we’ll take Isla. It also reminded me why I blog… because I can’t remember anything, ever! Nick and I tried to reminisce, but we both have terrible memories and could not remember anything we talked about that first night. All I remembered was a lovely, long kiss as Nick helped me into his truck to go back to College Station. Nick tried to recreate it as we getting in the car to go back to my mom’s house, but I laughed and told him he was crazy and to GET IN THE CAR – it was 11 o’clock in downtown Houston and I was scared. I guess that’s the difference between dating at 19 and dating at 26! I wish that I had a picture of our first date, but even if I weren’t the world’s worst at taking pictures (better since Isla was born), it’s a little weird to take pictures of your first date.

We of course ate wayyyy too much! We got an appetizer, wine, main course and a huge lava brownie dessert. Nick was stuffed, but I told him that I could still keep going! His reply, “Why do you think I picked out the stretchy dress?” He’s so funny! I love my husband. I never dreamed that marriage just kept getting more and more wonderful as the years went on… well, maybe I dreamed it, but I never understood it.

After that, we walked to see Wicked. I LOVED it. I bought the soundtrack then and there. It is the one musical where I left thinking it was great, but I wish that I could have seen it with the original cast. I am sure the Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenowith were amazing to watch.

I have probably overused the word’s amazing, wonderful and special… but I have been blessed with an amazing, wonderful and special husband, and we have had an amazing, wonderful and special 5 years of marriage. I am so thankful for him. The best day of my life was the day we got married, even over Isla’s birth because that is the day our family began. I spent every second up to that day praying that Nick wouldn’t change his mind! And now here we are with our little angel and I know that things will only get better J.

7 comments:

  1. Aww! Happy anniversary, y'all! Stori: You look amazing in that dress. Are you sure you were just pregnant??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you both! You are too cute Stori, I love reading your blogs. I feel the same way about the whole body image situation, having a child definitely gives you a different prospective on how you should view yourself. My body has changed since having Kailyn and I, too, am trying to embrace my new body. As long as you are happy and your husband loves you for you then that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! Btw, you do look great in that dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) you look amazing in the dress.
    2) I completely agree that having a daughter that looks pretty much just like you, who is the most beautiful thing in the world, make you feel more beautiful. :)
    3) Ralph and I have been married for 7 1/2 years. Every year on our anniversary we try to remember what we've done for all of our previous anniversaries (so far a max of 6 of them), and we never can.
    4)--which totally should be #2, after how fabulous you look in the dress--Congratulations on the first 5 years!!! Here's to at least 55 more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, I am so glad you know what I mean about having a daughter that is beautiful that looks just like you so you appreciate your looks more! I didn't want to sound vain, but that's just how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you and Nick both and feel so blessed to have you both in my life. I love you both even more for having my little Moo Kissy Coo to love on too :). And you look fantastic! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews