"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Arrival of Isla Frances

She's here! Probably everyone already knows, but I realized that she is now 5 days old and her mommy has not done ONE blog post in her honor.

She arrived on April 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM weighing in at 7 lbs 12 oz! Sadly, I was not able to go into labor on my own and I ended up having a c-section because she was just too big for my birth canal! It sounds so much worse than it actually was, I labored for 14 hours without an epidural before I caved and asked for one but before that the pain was completely manageable. The next 16 hours were perfectly enjoyable, except for one little scare where her heart rate dropped, and without pain, and finally my Doctor came in and said that she just wasn't coming out on her own. She would not drop into the birth canal and after alllll of those contractions pounding away at her, she was still somewhere between a -2 and a -1 station. Nick was the best husband and stayed by my side the whole time. I can't even come up with the words to describe how much I love him and how much I have appreciated all that he did and continues to do to help me cope with the after effects of a c-section.

They wheeled me in around 12:30 and less than half an hour later, she was here!




She's already found her thumb!

I did get two of my greatest prayers answered for this birth. The first was that I would not be afraid, and I just felt God's perfect peace throughout the entire 30 hours. The second was that I would bring her forth in joy, and all that I can say is that I have never been so joyful as I was bringing her into this world and every minute since her birth just gets better and better! Nick and I are just falling in love with her :).

The hardest part was naming her! It took us over 8 hours after she was born to name her. We went into the hospital with a short list of names. We knew that her middle name would either be Elizabeth or Frances in honor of both of our maternal grandmothers. Isla was actually my last choice because it did not have a family or sentimental connection, it was just a name that we thought was pretty. My top choice would have made her initials N.E.W... which I loved because one of my favorite verses in the bible is about God making all things new, but Nick wasn't crazy about it. Nick just kept going back to Isla and I could tell that he was stuck on it. So I agreed even though I was a little worried that it didn't have meaning or connection to anything.

Finally we made the announcement, and I think my mom was in the room. When we told her the name was Eye-la and spelled I-S-L-A, she said "That's like my name!" Her name is Lisa, and so Isla is the letters of her name rearranged! That made it perfect, and I can't believe we didn't make the connection before. Now, I can't believe that I ever considered another name for this sweet little princess. Nick and I love her so much.

Now I've got to go and wake her up to eat! She is the sleepingest thing I ever saw, and its been hard to get her up to eat. Do any of you moms out there have tips on keeping your newborn up long enough to eat???

10 comments:

  1. Congrats! She is beautiful and plump! Rest and allow your body to recover after your c-section, it is hard but it is the best thing you can do!

    We used to strip Peyton down to just a diaper to get her to eat and then tickle her toe to encourage her to stay awake to eat.

    Good luck and congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Sounds like we had the same problem except I never started the whole labor part :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Jake falls asleep 1/2 way through lots of bottles. We take off his clothes and that wakes him up pretty fast. He also seems to wake up every 2-3 hours during the day so lots of times he is up and ready to eat. Luckily he has pretty much slept through the night so we never really have to wake him up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stori and Nick, Congratulations!!!! She is beautiful and that was a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is sooooo cute and looks like you! I can seriously already see it. :) Thirty hours — You are such a trooper! I am so proud of you! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so precious! Congratulations Nick and Stori! I can't wait to meet her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad she's here! I forwarded the email to Ian, Naval, and Kasia (I think she is still in Poland).
    God bless you all, The Selbys

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is too cute! I am glad God granted you the peace needed to BEAUTIFULLY get through the birth process.

    About keeping them awake to eat...GIRL...you are speaking my language!!! Addison STILL has the same trouble with falling asleep the MINUTE she sees its feeding time. Here is what we do and it seems to have worked because now she eats in about 15-20 minutes...

    First, I wake her up by laying her on her back and letting her stretch out. I feed her without any other measures because she is the hungriest right when she starts. THEN if she starts falling asleep I will tug on the arm that is facing up towards me. If that doesnt work, I take her off and take off her clothes down to the diaper. This always seems to work for a while. After the nakedness stops working, I use a cool wash cloth on her. As a last resort I will change her diaper in the middle of the feeding. Be warned though...generally they potty during or right after a feeding so you run the risk of getting potty-ed on while you change her :)

    So thats...tug the arm, take off the clothes, cool wash cloth and change the diaper :) Hope that helps!!

    Oh...one more thing...it helps if the baby has just woken up from a nap when you feed them so they will be "less" tired. Addison eats, plays and naps in a 3 hour cycle until her late night feedings and then we skip play and she goes right back to sleep. Course...Addison can sleep for long stretches at night since she is HUGE...lol!

    SO happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea how I missed this post!!! I'm so glad you shared. Henry and I will be praying that you continue to heal well. We are so proud of you and Nick; such great parents, indeed! We love you guys, and Isla is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, Congrats again, she is absolutely beautiful!
    In regards to keeping her awake and keep her sucking, i always gently stroked her cheek and it would make her start sucking and eating again.

    They say to wake a baby up to eat, but in my personal opinion and experience, I never woke Kailyn up to eat. I say never wake a sleeping baby, they will wake up when they're hungry, trust me. She always woke up when she was hungry and then went back to sleep. It's all a learning experience and you should go with your instincts, if you feel like you should wake her up to eat then do it, but if you feel like she's quite content and you should let her sleep, then by all means, let her sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews