"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nuts or Things I Don't Understand

So many of you may remember this little comment from FoxNews Correspondant, Brit Hume a few weeks ago:

"The extent to which he can recover, it seems to me, depends on his faith. He is said to be a Buddhist. I don't think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. So, my message to Tiger would be, 'Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world."

I personally would not have thought that much about it. It was said on an opinion panel discussion about a fallen public figure... and it was suggested that Tiger take the exact same approach to cleaning up his act and image that Bill Clinton took 10 years ago. I do not understand the controversy around it one bit. Of course I agree with the statement Brit made, so maybe that's why I don't understand why every single online news source that I read had an article on the "controversial statement" made by Hume. Why was this newsworthy?

I mean last year the same liberal outlets were going on and on about Barack Obama's Christian faith. I thought that maybe it was suddenly cool to be Christian again!

But whatever, its what I would expect. "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." ~Jesus

Until I tune into the Walton and Johnson show and hear this little gem from MSNBC's Ed Schultz:

"I tell you what, if I lived in Massachusetts I'd try to vote 10 times. I don't know if they'd let me or not, but I'd try to. Yeah, that's right. I'd cheat to keep these bastards out. I would. 'Cause that's exactly what they are."

I did not read about this in any of the online news sources that I go to. Maybe I just missed it, but I read a lot of stuff, and I was surprised that this wasn't covered anywhere! I had to google to find the exact quote and I was really dissapointed that not a single mainstream (or what I consider mainstream) news source didn't consider it worth writing about. I don't think MSNBC (surprise), FoxNews, The Washington Post or the WSJ covered it.

So as a disclaimer, I don't actually have cable so I don't get FoxNews or MSNBC. I didn't hear these statements personally, so maybe they were taken out of context. I think that Ed Schultz may have made his statement on his radio show... but even so, how many times have I had to read articles on some statement the "monster" Rush Limbaugh made on his radio show! Also, I am certainly not omnipotent, so maybe Schultz's comment was covered and I just didn't see it. My point is, we might not be comparing Apples to Apples exactly, but I do think that there are some parallels.

SO...

Why is there nothing wrong with a man talking about stealing an election in the United States of America, which I would think even secular humanists would classify as bad? But in our country where 76% of people consider themselves Christians, another man suggesting a fallen public figure turn to the a religion that offers grace and forgiveness is suddenly taboo?

I just don't get it.

I think a lot of people think the way I do, which is probably why FoxNews kills MSNBC in the ratings every single night. Oh and yes I do read the Huffington Post.

2 comments:

  1. I first heard Shultz's comment on Glenn Beck's show right before the election...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrrmm, that may be why I didn't hear about it. I just didn't see it on any of the online news outlets I follow...

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews