"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

Monday, March 16, 2009

Baby Bear, and everything's just right!

What a weekend! My new nephew, Barrett "Bear" Wayne Moffett was born last Friday, March 13th, weighing 6 lbs 13 oz and is 20 in long! He's just precious, and he's doubly precious because he gave us quite a scare. We have been praising God that he is here with us and is safe and healthy.

Nick's sister, Tiffany was due last Thursday, and had been told by her Doctor that she would probably deliver early. The whole family had had their cellphones glued to the hip for the past week waiting, but Thursday came and went, and still no baby. Nick and I had been planning on going to Houston if the baby came, but since Bear seemed to be taking his time, we decided to hang out and work on the pergola Friday (we have every other Friday off).

Finally Thursday night, we got a call from Nick's mom saying that Tiffany had spoken with the hospital, and that if she didn't go into labor over night, she should call at 6 AM Friday. If the hospital wasn't full, then they were going to admit her and induce labor.

Well, Nick and I got up early, and by 8 AM we still hadn't heard anything, so we called Nick's mom. The hospital was full, so Tiffany had been ordered to call back at 10 AM to see if it was still full then. By 12 PM, we called Nick's mom again, and the hospital was still full, BUT they had asked Tiffany to come in for an ultrasound. This is not routine procedure, but if her fluid levels looked low on the ultrasound, then they could admit her as an "emergency case" and induce labor then.

So we waited impatiently...

Finally, at 3:30 PM, we got a panicked call from Nick's mom. The fluid levels were fine, but the ultrasound showed that the umbilical chord was wrapped around the baby's neck TWICE, and they were going to do an emergency C-section. Nick and I immediately prayed to God for the health of the baby and Tiffany. A C-section might be routine, but it's a major surgery. I also text messaged all of my sweet, believer friends and asked them to be praying for Tiffany as well. We then got packed as quickly as I've ever been able to, and raced out the door to Houston.

Finally, as we were driving,we got the call from Nick's mom around 7:30 PM. The baby had been born, and was a boy.

Side note*** Tiffany and Brady did not find out the sex of the baby beforehand. I had been so sure it was a girl, it wasn't. I thought that I could end my losing streak of guessing the wrong sex with my own flesh and blood... but apparently I'm destined to be always wrong in guessing a babies sex. I have been wrong, for literally the past 8 or 9 times I have guessed for friends and acquaintances pregnancies.***

And mother and baby were doing fine! But we found out that the umbilical chord had been around his neck FOUR TIMES.

This was truly a miracle because if the hospital hadn't been full, then the Doctors would have admitted Tiffany and induced labor without performing an ultrasound. They would have realized something was wrong after labor had begun because of the baby's heart rate, but the could have been in distress for a while before they were able to get him out. And with the umbilical chord wrapped FOUR TIMES around his neck, there's no telling what could have happened. God is so merciful, loving and good at all times! I don't know why I'm not always more patient with his timing knowing how well things turn out when I trust in Him.

Needless to say, we are overjoyed that he's here with us. It was hard leaving him on Sunday, we only got to spend a little over 24 hours with him. I also missed his homecoming, which is just tearing me up! But I can't wait to see him soon. Nick is pretty enamored with him too! Before we went to the hospital on Saturday, Nick was thinking that we would only stay for a few minutes. His comment, "Well, its not like the baby will do anything. We might get kind of bored." My comment, "We'll look at the baby, and that will be enough." Sure enough, as soon as Nick held the baby, his eyes were glued to little Bear's face, Nick couldn't get enough of him! This is my favorite picture from the trip, that's Nick's hand you see.


You can find more pictures of Bear here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2695759&id=8317856&l=e66e44a184. I think he's pretty darn precious, and he gets cuter every day!

2 comments:

  1. That is truly a miracle and a wonderful story. Congratulations on your new nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had alot to do with it ;).

    ReplyDelete

Pure and Undefiled Religion

Total Pageviews